28 November 2007

An Important Holiday Question...

Posed to me by, Ms. Hello Insomnia, Mona...whom not only makes me chuckle quite a bit (and snort various liquids through my nose depending on what I'm drinking at the time...and sometimes it stings) AND, since I don't have her direct email...I thought I'd answer the question directly here...cause' I know you're all dying to know...

What is your oldest ornament?

Well Mona, et. all...my mother and I had a small discussion where she giggled at my age (gotta' do that right? Even if you aren't drinking caffeinated coffee? I mean, as a child I asked her what it was like when she was little and there were dinosaurs? So, on some level, I was totally asking for it...OK, to be fair...I watched a lot of Flinstones, I had no idea...I mean, the cartoon was created when she was young...it's just a natural assumption a 5 year old would make...I do remember her getting miffed) Ahhh...well, I have my very first stocking, which is tiny tiny...and a star my father made for the top of our trees when I was little...out of little pine cones all wired together (no gold paint or glitter however) it gets unwrapped every year and I "ahhhhh" over it, but I stick with the sock monkey tree topper I have...

Oh, um...oldest ornament? Right. (because we're loosing daylight hours here aren't we? Master ADD storyteller at work here...)

Well...I have some awesome glitter ones...a little church and a little snowman, and a tiny pink tinsel star that I pilfered from my mother's collection from when she was a child...you, know...when no one was looking? My mother is really the one that has the great ornaments...she started collecting blown glass ornaments from the Victorian era when we were kids...so, when I think of really neat vintage ornaments, I think of the ones that graced our tree. Then again, my father also has some really amazing vintage ornaments that grace his totally cool vintage white feather tree (with a wind up musical stand...) Actually...my oldest ornament would have to be the glass bead garlands, which are actually not on my tree at the moment, I believe they are Victorian, and were culled from my mother's collection...they are really great...but, I opted to not put them on the tree this year. Kind of boring, huh? I like the ornaments from the 40's and 50's on up...

My oldest ornamentation would probably be battled out by either the Christmas Candles or the cardboard creche scene (that I don't have room to put out...and wouldn't that be a fight to see?) My grandmother had this little Creche put up always when I was little, and my mother kindly found this one for me...and said, "Here...this is the one GG always had up!" Which made me about 9 shades of happy, even though, it usually sits packed away in a box.




My weirdest ornament was an Incredible Hulk Hallmark thing that my EX picked out one year...it was just awful. We use to go to Hallmark every year to get one collectible ornament a piece to commemorate the season (now I take Rozzie for a special ornament instead) and I think that one some level he was just trying to pick out the tackiest one he could find, and piss me off...Then again, maybe not...I mean, I know we grew up with the Incredible Hulk TV show, but really? I'm just thankful that they didn't have The Creature From the Black Lagoon...But, I got rid of the hulk a few years back (after the divorce) So, my weirdest ornament, also picked out by my EX (one that made me roll my eyes at first, cross my arms and tap my toe right there in the store...but one that I'm super happy that I have now) is Samantha from Bewitched! Rozzie also eyes it every year...because she loves Bewitched as well, so it may just be passed down to her someday (oh the holiday legacies live on)

What is your oldest Holiday decoration/ornament?

*OR*

What is your most unusual Holiday decoration/ornament?


Things I am Thankful For:

The weird and creative Hallmark ornament designers who are busily working away to find unusual and totally non-holiday things in which to make an ornament...so that you will then, spend your hard earned money to adorn your home with weird plastic characters from TV shows of the past (because you're so nostalgic for a simpler time...like when someone pisses you off, you split your clothes turn green and whomp on their ass...Merry Christmas!!)

The person who decided it would be a good idea to make red and green storage bins, so that I know where all my weird plastic holiday goods are at, at all times...

PS...Blogger is not forwarding my comments to my email, so I am trying to play catch up with my responses...I am sorry if I haven't said HI to anyone in a while...is anyone else out there that's using Blogger having a problem with this??

*UPDATE*

Holy Monkey Trumpets! I just opened my email...I got ALL the comments...good grief...

9 comments:

flutter said...

I am now officially totally petrified of "monkey trumpets"

kirida said...

I'd buy a tree just for that Samantha ornament alone.

Anonymous said...

Holy Monkey Trumpets??? I actually guffawed at that. Out loud. I think that may become my new catch phrase for a few days.

Suzanne said...

So sad, my oldest ornaments were left in storage with my ex-boyfriend when I moved away...didn't even think about that Xmas box in there...some neat things I made as a kid, my aunt made, and a great book of XMas memories. :( But, I'm excited to hang a new ornament on the tree this year, marking baby's first XMAS!

Carol Dunton said...

LOL!! A 'Bewitched' ornament... who knew??!???

Girlfriend, you NEVER cease to crack me up and open my eyes a little bit more to this oh, so interesting world of ours!! : ))

xox
VB

luvmygreenbug said...

hmmmm...oldest is from 1961, it's a blown glass bulb, with a tiny church inside, very fragile....most unusual?
A decorated "Lee Press On Nail"..my hubby had hit his finger, and lost the nail on it...a friend of mine decorated a Lee Press on Nail, which she wrapped & gave to him...goes on the tree every year...:) oh, and I LOVE that Bewitched ornament!

Felicia said...

I don't know, I kind of like the idea of the Incredible Hulk and the Creature from the Black Lagoon. It could be a monster movie themed tree! Maybe a Saturday afternoon Creature Feature theme? LOL And I do like the Samantha ornament too. I'm planning to get the decorations out this weekend :)

Anonymous said...

The Christmas tree is my most favorite decoration of all! I truly believe, if I could have it as an all year long fixture, I would never be tired of it. Never never. It holds so many memories for me. Each telling a personal story of it's own. From my heritage, my childhood, to my 2 precious boys yearly trinkets.
I would have to say my oldest ornament(s) came from my Grandmother. Both sets of Grandparents came from Scotland. Back in the era where they actually lit candles on the boughs of the tree on Christmas Eve.
There is a snowmen, a bird that clips onto the tree branch. A star that revolves if placed over a bulb. A pink rose that is just about to bloom.
I have a few others that came from a friend who doesn't care for doing a tree and they are from her Grandparents tree. They are from Poland.
I just finished putting up my tree yesterday and I stand in awe and in a puddle of love. I so cherish the history of each of my dear treasures each and every time I spy them.
Blessings to you.
N

Rozzilyn said...

I have a Christmas Manger Set too!
But it's a reproduction......
But I did find it at a thrift store
which was very lucky! About the Incredible Hulk ornament? I remember it. But it is scary!
And I do have an eye on that Bewitched ornament still.

See you! Roz

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin