12 November 2007

Batches Of...

Cookies...

This is how I wrapped up the weekend...late on a Sunday night (but, to be truthful, I slept a little late Sunday morning, and had a relaxing day...Plus, the Wizard of OZ was on...and I forgot how much I really enjoy it...so, it seemed rude to turn it off) Besides, the cookies had to be made...

Oh yes they did...

Last week I was headed out to the Airstream and had a stop to make...no problem. Until I got in the car and tried to start it up again...

click click click...

damn.

Luckily some young man
helped me jump the battery and I headed on my way...not too worried (who am I kidding...I hate car problems...they stress me out) but I figured I would get a new battery the next morning...which would have been a lovely plan if the car had the decency to hold the charge overnight...

click click click...

damn.

A quick phone call to Rich early, had him running to my rescue...we tried to jump it again, and nothing...so, we decided to wrestle the battery out and replace it. The battery is located under some black plastic thing in a weird part of the car...held in by faux black screws. First you have to loosen them with a coin and then rip the crap...I mean gently pry them from the holder (carefully not losing any because you know what happens when you're missing important plastic parts of your car) So...here's Rich lugging around his big car tool kit...apologizing profusely, and hanging his head...

"I know nothing about cars...I'm sorry..."

"I'm hardly a man..."

Which left me in turn saying to him, "You're a man where it counts..." and silently thanking my father for teaching me at young age how to use all tools...he was good that way. Anytime he was in the garage, he let me come out and help and I don't ever remember feeling like I was in the way...he went so far as to buy me my very own little girl sized tool kit and carefully went over each tool teaching me how to use them...Thank you dad. Also, to be fair...Rich didn't need my help at all, and did fine (OH...and the tech geek wielding a wrench? A totally hot side of geek rarely explored...cause' if I didn't like him so much before...hubba-hubba) We ran down to the local auto supply...grabbed a battery and ran back to install it...

It was 2 inches too short. damn.

But, we put it in anyway and jimmied it so that the car would start when I turned the key...and we decided that it would be a good idea if I ran to my mechanic after work...my mechanic took one look at it, rolled his eyes...and agreed with us that they had indeed sold us the wrong battery...and that I could snap the cables and "...you certainly don't need stress like this in your life!" Oh...I agree completely...my mechanic knows exactly how much I adore this car...Back I ran to the auto supply to tell them before they closed...they handed me a little weird plastic piece that props it up...

The one we took off the battery and threw away?

Yeah...that would be the one...
(we didn't know...it hardly looks sturdy enough to hold a battery)

Then back to the mechanics in the morning...as he insisted he would go over it for me, and I'd better not take it anywhere else...he did. He threw the key at me across the counter when he was done (his receptionist and I were oogling some young guy who had just brought his car in...because she was trying to determine how cute his tushie was) He wouldn't let me pay him (the mechanic...not the young guy) this is the second time he's done this...the first was years ago for a clutch adjustment that another mechanic said wasn't possible...so he suggested a whole new clutch...I took the car to Bob and he did the 2 minute adjustment...fixing the clutch. (and I don't think I ever had to replace it either)

I love my mechanic...not only is he ALWAYS under his estimates...he is good at what he does, honest and completely thorough...I have been using him for more than 10 years...and 4 cars...He told me if I wanted to drop by donuts some time, he would love it...or home made cookies were good too...So, you can see why these had to be made. I can hardly ever thank him enough...since car problems really stress me out because I don't know how to fix them myself, and it's really important that not only do problems get fixed, but they get fixed well...and for a reasonable price. So, other than cookies, I also sing his praises (almost everyone I know goes to and trusts Bob)

Car Care By Bob
711 White Spar Rd
Prescott, AZ 86303
(928) 776-9528

If you're in town...give him a try...

Things I am Thankful For:


A wrench wielding tech geek who isn't comfortable using tools...but does a damn fine job rushing to my rescue, would hardly let me help him...and fixed my problem...

And, amazing honest mechanics who will fit you in during the busy AM hours for a small job and not over charge you...or charge you at all...and allow me to make cookies (a fine thing for both of us)

PS Dorothy...if you click your heels together and believe in yourself...you can avoid that whole crazy mess (ohhh...there's a metaphor in there isn't there?)


7 comments:

Carol Dunton said...

oh yes! every girl needs a good mechanic! the cookies look wonderful! he'll love every bite and hone of a car will always be in good hands! : )
vb

laura capello said...

dude. our van is in the shop. freaking mechanics are getting all sorts of blogger money right now.

and cookies? yum. we have devils food cupcakes over here. my belly loves them, but my ass does not.

Anonymous said...

It's a good thing that you have a Hubba-hubba Honey to help you with Honey! And a Honey of a Mechanic to help with the more complex stuff. Of course, I can't think of anything your Hubba-hubba Honey COULDN'T do.

Bobbypin Bandit said...

GUess who's back!!!??? It's me, Kristen, formerly Kandeedo Bandeedo. Check it out, let me know what you think!! Those cookies look delicious. I love my mechanic, too!! He is always good to me and always has things to teach me about cars. Now if only I could remember what he tells me...xoxox.

Anonymous said...

There is nothing like a great mechanic. I have one and won't take my car anywhere else. And I make him cookies, too. No pics of the hot, wrench-wielding tech geek? Bummer.

nuttnbunny said...

Car problems make me cry. Like an angry panicked bunny.

Sandra Evertson said...

Yuummeee!
Sandra Evertson

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin