25 November 2007

Fluff and Dust...

That was the scene around here on Saturday.

All. Day. Long.

I was wandering
through the rooms of my house while on the phone the other night, as I am wont to do...and I noticed the piles. Well, one could not help but notice as I was forced to pick my feet up every few feet and step over them...things that have been carefully stacked collecting in the corners were now spilling into the middle of the room, and were found falling off of every available surface...Not good.

My dust was getting dusty.

So, I started...by organizing and culling my clothes in the armoire, thus freeing up one of the big laundry baskets of clean laundry that's been sitting around since last week. I turned around and filled that basket up with clothes that are now moving on to Snap Snap. I was on such a roll (and also wanting to rip some TV episodes into iTunes...which, come to find out, one can do while cleaning! Who Knew?) I continued on to the large white cupboard by the door that houses, stationary, candles, incense, tarot cards, gift certificates, and most everything that I use in my revolving mantle/house decorating (otherwise known as a giant catch-all) I also opened up the coffee table and cleaned out the underneath of clutter and books I'll never get around to reading, and replaced them with some down floor cushions and a down lap blanket...I also did 2 loads of dishes and dyed my hair (And muttered a lot under my breath about the amount of things I have and don't need anymore...the cat gets agitated when I shout)

And all while on a few cups of decaf
(and a break for a left-over turkey wrap sandwich, au gratin, and cranberry sauce)

I eventually loaded up
the car with things to sell at the shop, which I ran down right before my mother closed up for the day...3 trips it took from the car to the shop for me to get everything in (you know what I'll be doing on Monday) I still have more to go down to the shop as well...a pile of books to be traded in for credit at Hastings, and a pile of things for my mother to go through, plus a garbage can full to throw away...and a ton of paper to recycle. Running to the shop (and a 15 minute quickie to the grocery) was the only time I left the property...

all. day. long.

It was a windy and freezy cold day, so it was perfect for staying inside...and cleaning up (and it helped to keep me warm to be moving around and sorting. I decided to skip the holiday light parade as it's not that great...and it only reached a high of 50 today...wind and cold at night? No thanks) I think the house looks and feels so much better...surfaces are cleaned and dusted, several candles are lit in most rooms upstairs, the mantle and the behind the chairs table are both decorated for Christmas, I've got hot mug of Sleepytime tea mixed with agave syrup in hand, a purring furball on my lap...and the fireplace is going. I am cozy and much happier...a little clutter is one thing, but I've noticed more than a little? It stresses me out. I still need to tackle the entertainment armoire, vacuum and mop the floors, and decorate the tree...but, Rozzie is going to come over this Sunday morning and help me bake some pumpkin bread...and she usually likes to help decorate the tree, so I think I'll let her help me.

Pumpkin bread with icing sounds like a darned good reward for all that's been done around here...

And a good kick-start for the stuff that is still needing to be tackled...

4 comments:

Catalyst said...

Say, when you're totally done, could you come over to my house. The closet in my den is becoming overwhelmingly full of "stuff" and SWMBO says I must do something about it.

rebecca said...

Congrats on all the cleaning! It's quite a nice productive feeling, isn't it? Good luck with all the rest! And look out for a little gifty in the mail... I'm going to head over to the post office tomorrow with postcards in hand!

laura capello said...

DUDE. the dust in my car is getting dusty. how pathetic is that.

wanna come over and clean it?

Felicia said...

You're inspiring me. I need to go through some of the old junk to see what needs throwing out :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin