07 December 2007

Take a look around here, Ellen! We're at the threshold of hell!!

As quoted by Clark W. Grizwold in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation...and one of my very favorite Christmas movies of all times (followed closely by A Christmas Story, Elf, and Jingle All The Way)

Yesterday was a rotten day...
one of those days where I was just a little off all day...
  • I was snarky with Rich on the phone
  • I shut my leg in the car door and then had to peel skin off my knee sock
  • I helplessly watched the meter maid give me a parking ticket before I could move my car
  • Someone broke into my bathroom at the shop only to leave their used toilet paper all over the floor
  • I forgot to eat my lunch
  • Part of the ceiling fell in over the vintage clothing rack and now I'm worried about the upcoming rain this weekend
  • I stuck the tagging gun needle all the way under one of my fingernails and hurt myself
  • A customer who makes it a point to come in 10 minutes before I close, and then tries to make me hold things for her...and tries to keep me from closing on time (and hardly ever buys anything) came in to spread the joy
  • Everytime JC Penny's and Old Navy holiday ads come on...I want to cry from the music (I went to iTunes and found all the tunes...from a group called The Weepies, no less, so now I can cry anytime I want)
  • I made myself some Tater-Tot's as a food treat...I burned my tongue, yet some of the tot's weren't quite done

O heavens...let's make this stop shall we?

I did everything I could to remedy the things that were upsetting me on that list, within my power...and decided to switch to focus to the good that happened to me during the day:

For instance, I walked into the thrift and found this amazing little carved fairy gnome woman...(she's actually about 8" high)

Christmas decorations were 50% off...and I snapped her up for a song...

She's holding the tiniest mushroom on the wire in her right hand...and I think she may have to stay up year around, because she makes me smile.




And...after emailing lovely friends all over the internet all day and spending quite a bit of time giggling, I decided to come home and make myself happy the old fashioned way...heavy drugs and booze.

OK...not so much.

I opted for a lavender bubble bath instead, followed by lavender palmarosa oil...because lavender is so calming...I put on my new Victorias Secret argyle flannel PJ's (I opted for those instead of the ones with the wings because I wanted to relax) switched on the fire and settled down with a cup of valerian and Sleepy Time tea and a bit of iced pumpkin bread.

Look at Meena...

just sitting there...

Looking at my lap...

She SO wants to snuggle with me...

fat chance!

Oh dear...

She know's we're talking about her...

Sorry sweetie...

As soon as I'm
done here, you're welcome to my entire lap...because I'm gonna' kick back and watch a little of the 2 latest episodes of Project Runway (because wouldn't you know that I forgot to tape last weeks episode? So, I've got a bit of catching up to do)







Is everyone feeling better yet? I know I am...thank you for listening...you're all too kind. Although, I feel...well, I don't quite feel better yet. Hmmm...

What can I possibly do?

Oh I know!

While I was out thrifting around...I found the most delightful little vintage 1970's hand towel (Here comes Santa Claus) a matching wash cloth (The Night Before Christmas) and an apron (also Here comes Santa Claus) AND a Christmas With the Brady Bunch music CD (who knew?)

And I know that it would make me really happy to give them away to one of you...if you will indulge me? Help me give someone out there a 1970's flashback Christmas! Leave me a comment on this post...tell all of your friends...I will draw names on Sunday evening...

There. Now I feel better...and I can totally sit back and relax and watch Project Runway, with the smell of wet wool in my nostrils...

Oh yes,
I just spilled a large jar of water on the floor next to me.

Indeed I did.

15 comments:

Tonya said...

Days like that are no fun at all. But as least you know how to really take care of yourself. So yesterday while you and I were im-ing, I got a phone call...then another...and another. By the time I got back to my computer you had signed off. Talk to you later.-T

Felicia said...

Oh dear! What a crummy day from H-E-double hockey sticks! That just so sucks. Nearly everything on the bad list is equally cruddy.

And trying to stay positive your new little lady is a cutie. And you're wearing some mighty cute pants there so you must look good! Even kitty is captivated by your beauty.

laura capello said...

don't put me in the drawing - but oh dear, you day sounded like mine.

Rusty said...

If I win, can I make you keep it and never ever send it to me? :P

Sorry you had such a demanding day. Maybe it's a sign to slow down a bit. Or maybe I'm talking out of my arse.

--rusty.

Catalyst said...

You think you've got problems? Check out the travails of the Reverend Anaglyph at http://tetheredcow.com

flutter said...

back to bed with you!

Anonymous said...

Hugs!

Carol Dunton said...

Good gravy, girlfriend! After a day like that, I would have broken out the eggnog and rum...minus the eggnog, I do believe!! Love the pj's...and the wonderful mantel. Miss Meena cracks me up...that look on her face is soooo worth a thousand words! If I do win the coveted towel, I do expect it to be delivered IN PERSON! One way or the other!! : ))
xoxox
VB

~Molly~ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
~Molly~ said...

count me in!! Sorry about your fight, your leg, your finger, your rough customers, and your water. I had an out-of-sorts day yesterday too but no pain was involved.

If I lived closer I'd come catnap Miss Meena, she has the same markings as my Miss Muffin(only she's the dark version). I get that same look from her all the time, and Soshie too.

I'd also kidnap Miss Fairy Gnome Woman too, she is adorable!!

Love me some Christmas Vacation(especially the ending), we may have to put that in tonight. We also like Home Alone but one of my favorites is The Santa Clause with Tim whatshisname and of course, Christmas in Connecticut...

Molly, waiting for dinner at 7pm, it *might* be here by 8ish. Sigh.

Suzanne said...

Wet wool? Yummy! You poor thing! If it helps at all, your ambience in your home is so holiday delightful (could that be coined a phrase?) It is sooo festive, coming from someone who has set up nothing for Xmas... :)

luvmygreenbug said...

.... the fairy gnome lady was just WAITING for you to walk in, to brighten up your day a bit..she just KNEW things weren't going your way that day...she's very sweet...got your Christmas card yesterday, I was so excited! What a great card, thank you so much...have a lovely weekend!

Anonymous said...

Did you ever read that Far Side cartoon that goes something like "The bluebird of happiness was gone, so Ned was visited by the chicken of depression"? I think said poultry came by to pay its respects to you on Friday.

My condolences on your knee. And your ceiling. And your... um... whole day. Wouldn't it cheer you up to send me some dishtowels? I bet it would. :D

http://afancifultwist.typepad.com said...

I had an everything going wrong three days in a row recently. It was awful and weird and freaky!! I promise it will all get better!! Remeber Howard Jones, "things can oooooonly get better, whoa whoa whooooaaa, whoa whoa whooooaaoaoaaa, whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa, oh oh oh ... Member member???? Oh and I LOVE lavender! It's the best!! I am glad you gave yourself some love! xoxooxo

leslie said...

That fairy gnome is so darling!!!! What a find for you! And I think you should keep her up year round, esp if she makes you smile!!! Just watched Christmas Vacation and danged if when he said that I thought, but that doesn't look like my house but we sure are in hell LOL Like the lavender stuff! Maybe I need to do that routine too :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin