20 December 2007

Holiday Finery...


What am I wearing this festive holiday season, you ask?

It's about time...

Hey...I'm a girl, usually whenever I'm invited to do anything, the first words that pop out of my mouth are, "what am I going to wear?" and that's when the fun comes in...

This season, I'm featuring vintage. Mostly because someone came in last week to dump off some vintage that had been languishing in their wives closet, and he figured it cost too much to dry clean them...and there was no way she was ever going to fit in them ever again anyway.

harumph...


Well, now they're in my closet, and they fit just fine.

I had the annual
Snap Snap holiday party..."what's that mean?" my mother asked when I called her Tuesday to alert her to the fact that we are having a work party..."well, that's when I either take you out to dinner or bring over Thai so we don't have to make dinner...then we can xerox body parts later..." "oh, well, the food sounds good, but my copier isn't very sturdy" So, we ate Thai, and the next night I met the only other consignment account I have in town for sushi...she's also a good friend, and I thought it would be appropriate to wear the first of my holiday frippery to dinner...

A green brocade dress with a silk black brocade and embroidered jacket layered over it.


The dress I am wearing for Christmas day will be a lovely navy blue rayon blend with the most amazing little apples all over it...

Both of these dresses were either handmade or remade at some point, so there is no designer label in them...The apple one has the sweetest little tucks all over the front...and when I was ironing it last night, I noticed a few little holes in the material in various places that I need to patch or deal with at some point...I also notices a hole in the waistband seam in the back of the dress, so I hopped on the sewing machine right quick to stitch that up...

We don't want this to be the year knows as the one when Aunt Sadie's dress disintegrated and fell off while we were opening Christmas presents...nobody wants to see a blog post about that now do they?


I was slap happy when I put this apple dress on and it fit, because I'd already decided in some deluded corner of my brain that if it didn't fit, I was keeping it anyway and I was going to either diet, or remake it so that it did fit...

The pockets have this little inverted triangle detail to their bindings...that happens to match the inverted triangle detail that is on the neckline.

sigh.

They just don't make dresses with this much care, detail and quality anymore. I am happy whenever I get a chance to rescue one.


I am not exactly
sure what I am going to pair this with...perhaps some cardigan I have secreted away somewhere...and of course, one of my vintage rhinestone holiday pins...

And some leggings.

Definitely leggings.

Cause' it's been darned cold here as of late.

4 comments:

nuttnbunny said...

Smashing, darling!

flutter said...

it all looks splendid!

Felicia said...

Pretty :)

Catalyst said...

We don't want this to be the year known as the one when Aunt Sadie's dress disintegrated and fell off while we were opening Christmas presents...nobody wants to see a blog post about that now do they?

Oh, I don't know about that!!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin