22 December 2007

Happy Solstice...


This is the night of Solstice, the longest night of the year.
Now Darkness triumphs and yet gives way and changes into Light.
The breath of Nature is suspended.

All waits while within the cauldron the Dark King is transformed into the Infant Light.
We watch for the coming of the dawn when the Great Mother again gives birth
to the child Sun who is the bringer of hope and the promise of summer.

We turn the wheel to bring the Light.
We call the sun from the womb of Night
.


-excerpt from Circle Round



I decided a few days ago (yeah, the morning that creativity woke me up at 6) that I wanted to give my mother and Rozzilyn handmade gifts for Winter Solstice this year:

For my mother...a little patchwork linen and cotton scarf with a felted wool applique owl sporting some special vintage abalone buttons from my button collection...

All to match the little owl tank, which I did not make, but thought was terribly cute, and something fun to wear under winter clothes.







For Rozzilyn...a little set of fancy glitter skulls. One is a needle case, and the other is a wrist pin-cushion, both made from felt and embroidered. She asked me quite some time ago to make her a needle case like this, and I had completely forgotten, until I was trying to figure out something special to make for her...it's been so very long since I've sat down and embroidered anything, and I had such a good time doing it...

Something to look forward to in the new year perhaps?

Enjoy your Solstice...
Rozzilyn and I will be spending the day together in a mini baking sweatshop in my kitchen to provide the family enough sweets to really enjoy Christmas in the sweet induced comas that we've come to look forward to this time of year...

5 comments:

~Molly~ said...

You are up early miss Sadira!! I lovelovelovelove the skull accessories!! My daughters were sitting here with me and saw them! Guess what I have to try and make them now? I was planning a needle case for Sarah anyway, she's taken an interest in sewing on felt for now. Hope she continues with it.

Happy Solstice!!! Hope you have a blessed weekend too!

Molly

Carol Dunton said...

OH, I think it's wonderful that you celebrate the winter solstice! And I like the except from Circle Round. A couple of years ago I made a salt scrub for my friends for Christmas and I named my little concoction 'Winter Solstice'. Enjoy your yummy sweatshop today...I bet the smells will be bringing the woodland creatures a bit closer to your door! : )
xox
VB

laura capello said...

holy crap, you make THE BEST gifts!

luvmygreenbug said...

great stuff, love the glitter (of course I do, there's glitter involved!)skulls! I'm currently rushing to finish my Christmas tablecloth...in 1993 I gave my MIL a white tablecloth..at her annual Christmas brunch, everyone signs the tablecloth, and I embroider what they wrote with the same color..new year, new color. Sixteen years later, it's a very colorful, fun tablecloth that everyone looks forward to seeing each year.

Bobbypin Bandit said...

I am loving the needle case and pin cushion!! How are you? I am sorry I fell out of the loop for a while there. The end of the semester has been kicking my ass. I get some time off soon. I'll be heading out to Bisbee for a night or two, I am hoping to make it out to see you. I'll keep you posted. XOXO-Kristen

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin