01 May 2006

Sunday April 31st...

Participants:
  • Kelli
  • Rozzilyn
  • Sadira
  • Susan

Wow...What a couple of productive days! I won't go into what all I did today, because I didn't take any pictures (lucky you!) but let's just say, it was quite a lot, in which I ended up with a really clean front yard, porch, and front of the house...a large pile of clothes to get rid of, and all my summer clothes upstairs! But, yesterday...What a day! We spent Creative Sunday at my mom's house...Creating a beautiful space for her...(I know, finally!)

BEFORE
















And...AFTER...

A sparkly new paint job on an otherwise dirty fireplace! Most of that smoke and grime was there before my mother even moved in to the house...it was a bit grimy (to say the least) when she bought the house. And since this is one of the only sources of heat in the house, it gets used a lot...Plus there was a small fire in the chimney this year as well...So, a lot of smoke found it's way into the house. Although this may be the largest and ugliest fireplace ever built in a home (you should see the size of the room, it's not quite big enough to warrant quite this size fireplace) we all agreed that painting it was an improvement!


And the next job (yes, we did this all in one day) My mom did the fireplace, and Kelli and I did the kitchen...While Rozzie entertained us...

BEFORE...































The entire kitchen had already been drywalled...the walls and the ceiling...so we primered it the walls and ceiling and then painted...And painted...And painted...Luckily we had primered the trim cupboards and shelves sometime earlier! I absolutely love to paint, ask anyone I know...But even I, at the end of the day was tired and ready for it to be over! And after seeing the results, all clean and matching and colorful, it was well worth it...

AFTER...

















The kitchen is full of cute original details...Like the cutout above the stove, the built in shelves and the little feet on the bottom of the cabinets (which I didn't take a picture of)...And this type of painting really enhances the fun stuff packed into this space. My mom picked out all of the colors, and as I usually go for light colors on the trim and the cabinets of my houses, I was really surprised and excited about the way it turned out. She has marble on her countertops and the color green she picked out really enhances them. And with all the walls, wainscoting and ceiling the same colors, it makes the kitchen more unified, brighter and it actually looks bigger!

Next, we are going to do the pantry/herb storage, and then the floor.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a difference you guys have made - the house is looking great!

My mom still wants to go over there and get some pics of the place since her aunt, uncle, and cousins lived there in the early 1900's. I'm sure they would be very pleased to see how nice you are fixing everything up! :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin