03 May 2006

The Trip-Day 6

Well...I'm realizing that it may take as long to post about the trip as it did to be on the trip itself! Then again, if I do one day of the trip a day on the blog...That would certainly make sense. OK...So here's my current state:

*I am thankful that Mr. Wyndham is home from the kitty hospital...all intact (and the bits that aren't are out of there!)

*I am absolutely freezing! It could be because I came home and plunked myself down, had a cold dinner, and have hardly moved since! Sitting staring off into space at times...The house needs a lot of work, and I just feel like sitting here...Not doing any of it (anyone who would like to help...feel free to contact me)

*I am oscillating between being joyful, and extremely sad...And wanting to eat all the chocolate in the house that isn't nailed down...Which has only succeeded in making me feel stuffed and slothy (plus...various parts of my body are sore...hmmmm sounds like something that happens every month)

* I am Feeling guilty because I should have gotten up and taken a huge walk, although someone just informed me that a gang of 5 girls is going around robbing people who are out walking around in my neighborhood...By gunpoint! Thank you Warren...I may never leave the house again!


Which is why it is so important to get back to the trip, as it just goes to prove that I've been somewhere (hahaha)

FLORENCE - FIRENZE
Can I say right now that Florence is still my favorite city in Italy? It is like a breath of fresh air! I wonder what it is about certain places that call out to you, that make you feel like home? I would absolutely love to spend a month exploring Florence. These first pictures are of the duomo...the magical crazy optically challenging green, pink, white, and black marble buildings are breathtaking! And the sound that chimes out of the bells in Giotto's tower is amazing! I actually hiked up that tower last time I was in Florence...Almost all the way to the top, but I was not in as good of shape as I am now, and coupled with the fear of heights thing...I didn't make it all the way to the top!















These are pictures of the Palazzo Della Signoria...this is the original location of the statue David was before they moved it to the Acadamia and out of the elements of the square, although there is a replica standing in the square...it looks a lot like the original (even though the last time I saw the original, it was covered by scaffolding!). A lot of really historically significant things happened in this square over the years...it is huge. Among the wonderful fountain is the great covered area that houses these wonderful statues! And since the Ufizzi was right there...and we didn't have a reservation, these were wonderful to see...for free!



































And that is the view from the Ponte Vecchio...the famous bridge that houses all the gold and jewelry shops in Florence, spanning the river Arno. On the way to the Pitti Palace. Since I had already seen the inside of the palace...I opted to see the grounds with Patti, and the traveling erotic/love exhibit...The grounds were pretty low key as far as gardens go...And it was a warm day for a hike...But beautiful!





































And check out this grotto! This apparently is where the royal famiy would dine during the hot summers...











































I'm wondering what it would take to build one of these at Foolsewoode?







Patti and I then snuck out after the erotic exhibit...which was more nudes and love things than erotica...And was really wonderful, although I didn't get to take any pictures there (I saw the singlemost bautiful tapesty ever!!)...and went for a brief afternoon of shopping...a wonderful day...
Ciao Firenze...until next time!


2 comments:

Rozzilyn said...

All right-you perservered thru the chocolate haze and took us to Firenze-thank you!

Rozzilyn said...

Thanks for mentioning me on your blog. I am looking rather sleek and special this AM. Mr. Wyndham

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin