01 October 2007

Redux Of a Fall Skirt...

Oh yes, it is getting harder for me to justify the keeping of a skirt...but darn it...everytime I see one I like...I want to keepy.

I found a plaid Banana Republic number recently that I snatched up for a pittance at at thrift, and stuffed it into a bag...where it's sat for a while now. (Let me preface by saying that I am usually in the process of hauling clothes in and out of the house on a regular basis, trying them on and keeping and getting rid of on a whim, so it's not unusual for me to have a few things heaped, I mean, waiting for direction on the floor of some part of my house, it's the hazard of owning a resale clothing store...I have a lot of whims that can be fulfilled) As I went straightening through the bedroom, I remembered it (or uncovered it more likely) and decided to wear it on Friday (come to think of it, I was going to wear jeans of Friday, for casual Friday...as I sometimes like to implement that at the shop...good lord) So, I pressed it up and slipped it on.

And, I noticed something...

It's all plaid-y...
I mean, I obviously knew that from the start, seeing as I'm not blind, and I was wearing my glasses when I snatched it off the rack (even though I usually photo myself without them, I think I look better...whatever) and being a child of the 80's, I am seriously into plaid on some deep subconscious level (polka-dots too) but, this plain-plaid-skirt-thing was not quite...enough.

So, having an extra half hour before I needed to leave the house for work, I decided to remedy that. A 10 minute job max...as I rediscovered a tee in the studio that I'd been itching to stitch onto something...turned into a 30 minute job as I realized that I'd sewn the lining to the skirt, which would be fine if I had no legs...but, not being able to levitate presently presented me with some serious problems. Out came the seam ripper, and a more careful me attempted to sew the design on...which worked well...

I think.

I also sewed around the edges...and made 3 sweeps with the sewing machine, making for a more interesting visual dynamic with my attempt at sewing machine embroidery (in my humble opinion...I'm an Aries, we don't oft have humble opinions about anything we do...but, humor me) and then I popped a vintage rhinestone pin on there for some more bling...cause' I'm blingy like that sometimes.

I heart it...even though it looked a little gathery and bunchy here and there...I still think it's a perfect solution to what could have been a too plaid-y skirt.







Oh...I wanted to let you know that I popped over to Granny J today and she's awarded me a little award...
Lovely to know I've made someone smile...I make myself smile a lot, but that's a whole other story...And, the rules are, I must nominate some people out there who make me smile...So, here goes:

Now all you's on the list...go forth and nominate...

6 comments:

stilettoheights said...

HI!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just to let you know, you won my blog contest, so I need your address to send an 8x8 collage too.

xoxo
j

flutter said...

that is *so* cute

Anonymous said...

So cute! I never would have thought to embellish like that. And it's cute!

Carol Dunton said...

Lovely, dah-ling! Simply lovely!
: )
VB

Anonymous said...

LOL Yeah, we 80s children do love our plaid! Your skirt looks great :)

Madame Queen said...

I love plaid and polka dots, too. I also have a major affinity for anything floral, but it must be large florals, like cabbage roses. My mom calls these clothes of mine my wallpaper clothes!

Love the addition to the plaid skirt!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin