24 October 2007

My Sister Lives in SanDiego...

For everyone that remembers, and all that have been calling to check in, my sister Thais does indeed live in SanDiego...my father and a lot of my family live further North up the coast...Everyone seems to be safe for now.

My sister didn't answer her phone last night when I called and I got worried...she immediately called me back and said she was sorry, but she was busy running down the street because he hair was on fire...

we're a funny family...

That's how we handle tragedy...then again, thats how a lot of people handle tragedy...She's more upset right now because all the smoke has triggered her allergies, and she can hardly breathe. She said last night that the evacuation wasn't mandatory yet, and whenever the sun sets it's red, and looks like the Apocalypse...they had just gotten back from grocery shopping...I told her that she should have gone down to the stadium as they seemed to be giving away free food...

we're a funny family...

My sister lives in the downtown area (I think...I'm sorry to say I haven't been out to visit yet) and she can't figure out why we keep calling her everyday, because she doesn't feel like she's in any danger...the fire is in SanDiego County, not too near her apparently (but with the winds blowing, we're worried) She said my grandmother called her 5 times the first day the fires were burning (she was at a movie and had the phone shut off, so I'm sure that GG was worried) she keeps saying that she hopes my sister has enough sense to evacuate...we remind her that Thais doesn't have a car...I told Thais to jump in the ocean and swim up to my dad's house...GG is more practical and asked her if she would just pack a couple of bags so she wouldn't worry so much...my mother said it's OK not to because GG likes to have something to worry about...Thais said the big plan was to jump in the neighbors pool with straws and wait it out...

we're a funny family...

Thais works at a landmark family owned restaurant in SanDiego. She says it's been really busy...filled with people who have had to evacuate their homes. The people she works with keep a close watch on the news to see if the fire is coming close to their neighborhoods...to see if they need to hurry home to fill their cars and rescue their pets. On the first day when the Govenator was down in the area she said they were all joking that he was on the news with a lion under each arm (rescuing the animals from the SanDiego Wild Animal Park...potentially one of the best "zoo's" I've ever been to)

we're a funny family...


Thais said yesterday
that there was a family in the restaurant eating lunch. The mother looked at the TV screen where she suddenly saw her house engulfed in flames...everyone watched as she and her daughter sobbed loudly...

we're a funny family...
but we know when to not laugh...all my thoughts go out to my family and the other families that are being affected by the fires in California...please stay safe.

7 comments:

flutter said...

My dad and brother, too. I am thinking of you and yours and all those effected.

Anonymous said...

I almost cried when I read this. I can only imagine what those who are affected by the fires are going through. My dad is there too. He's fine so far. We haven't talked since Monday night. Hopefully, the fires will stop and the rebuilding of lives will be healing. I'm sending good thoughts and well wishes to all.

~Molly~ said...

Oh how scary! I have a cousin in Sandy Eggo, she's a fashion designer, Sally Bee(www.sallybee.com). And a friend in Santee but I don't think they're in danger(yet). And a ton of friends in the LA area. So thankful that all we have to worry about here in east Texas is the occasional tornado, rains from the occasional hurricane, and the extremelyvery rare sleet storm. Not even close to being the same threat as a fire.

Suzanne said...

Ditto on wishing safety for so many people, as we are watching the news reports on it all right now...

Carol Dunton said...

What a beautiful smile and sparkly eyes your sister has! I love how much you two resemble each other. My prayers are that she stays safe, and that the fires abate soon and for safety to all people and creatures...

Anonymous said...

I must be emotional. I got all teary-eyed reading this. (Sheesh, thanks.) We've been worried about my husband's grandparents. He has family closer to the city, too, but were not as worried about them yet. So thanks for the post. And the giggles from how your family is. If you don't have some sort of humor a tragedy becomes more than a tragedy, dontcha think?

Rozzilyn said...

Mommie looks cute. That was her birthday picture. Rozzi

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin