17 August 2007

This Weeks...

WIP...



I have a little easel that sits on the sidewalk of the front of the shop...pointing people in and informing them of goings on at Snap Snap...After a few years of dragging it in and out...it sitting out in sun, rain, snow and wind (sounds like the Postal Service doesn't it?) It was in sore need of TLC. I proceeded to take it apart, replace the hinges...and decided it needed a make-over on the side that is a blackboard, because the chalk wears off easy and washes off in the rain and snow...




Now, I painted the outdoor sign...as a matter of fact, I paint all of the things around the shop that need to be painted...

Part of my creative process you know...

I started by blowing up the image I wanted to use, cutting it out of paper, using an Exacto knife to do the more intricate detailing, taping and tracing...and then painting the base of the image white...







I then used carbon paper (yes, they still make it, and it's a bit expensive now...but luckily I have 100 sheets...so, if anyone needs any, let me know) to trace a rough outline of the design...

and then painted those parts, the outline, with black paint...

I used
the left over paint I used for the outdoor sign. I bought it at Sherwin-Williams and paid a gazillion dollars for it, but, it's amazing paint and is holding up in the weather well. I had 5 quarts mixed: black, white, red, yellow, and blue...because I like to mix my own colors, and those certainly cover all of them...






Then, I "colored" in the lines with my paint brush...and designed a little bit of wordage to put within the "sign" part of the new sign...

This also happens to be the image I use on my business cards, and is a 17th Century Italian Map Cartouche, which I adore...and had a fun time painting!








So, here it is...

The finished sign, in the easel which is now all put together like new, and made it's debut yesterday (and I ran it in at one point because of the rain)

Dang.

Now the other side looks like it needs a makeover...

Plus, I'm hoping that the new sign may clear up any confusion there may be surrounding the shop. During the last couple of days, I've been noticing a disturbing trend (and it's not just the micro-minis people have been trying to foist off on me) coming from the young local high school students. Now, anyone who really knows me, can vouch for the fact that I think that the blank, wide-eyed-out-of-it-stare mirrored by the same in the personality is an act (it has to be right?) and I have been annoyed by these girls since attending high school with them myself...So, I suppose it shouldn't surprise me in the least that I have chosen a profession in which they would still run rampant in my life. Anyway...as I said, in the last few days, no fewer than 3 girls have approached the counter, using their whatever attitudes and throwing intelligence to the wind to ask the question,

"What kind of store is this?'

And, I'm telling you, the wit that is building in my brain is wanting to pour out...but, I only confusedly look at them, sigh and reply...

"A clothing store"

"Oh...OK! Great! Thanks!"

ummmmm....

I'll keep you posted
on further progress...

Have a great weekend, I will be walking walking, and resting too, getting my voice back...

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks good! :)

Tonya said...

Oh you are such an artist! Yeah, I witnessed one of your stranger customers last time I was in asking you "what kind of store is this?Why do you sell these clothes... why do you sell those patches?"...um....go away little girl is what I was thinking, but you were very kind to her.(Even though you and I did exchage "what the F" looks with one another.
I love your sign. -T.

Bobbypin Bandit said...

I love your sign!!!! What a great idea to take the image you like and trace it. I need to come see you!! Frenchie's friend lives in Prescott, when we go visit, I'll stop and visit you!!

Anonymous said...

Sorry I haen't been visiting.. IT's been kinda nuts. Down in Naples, FL.

Dad is recovering from two surgeries and my stepmom is in the medical pokey (aka rehab hospital) following knee replacement.

Love the new sign!!!!!
YOu need to job out your artistic talents, gurl!!!!

Anonymous said...

..now what is it you sell?
(teee hee!)

Just kidding...Behave... I'll be back Wednesday assuming hurricane Dean doesn't blow mw away...

Granny J said...

Neat logo!!

Anonymous said...

I love it!! :D

rebecca said...

That looks awesome!

I need to get back into painting. I used to paint ALL THE TIME way back in the day, and I've been daydreaming of getting back into it. The thought of painting on paper grocery bags stapled onto scrap plywood is stuck in my head. Not sure why.

I love love the sign. I'll have to come check out the shop if I ever head up to your neck of the woods.

Anonymous said...

Wowsa! You've got major talent, woman!

Carol Dunton said...

as always...

you, are quite the artist, having seen your handywork in person! Love that you are continuing with this beautiful facet of yours...

as for the 'duhs' in the world...
if nothing else, it provides a sick sort of entertainment!
lol
: )
VB

Anonymous said...

Oh, what ding bats those girls are! The sign is marvelous!! Just, WOW!!!! xxo

Anonymous said...

Your sign is so fab! Nice job!! And hey, What kind of store is this?? :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin