03 March 2006

Crafty Little Girl

Well...as promised, I decided to post my fun collection of vintage kitchen towels (only...because the other linens are going to take some doing). Well, that brilliant idea is going to be a little more work than I expected! Like actually locating all of the vintage towels I own...I am finding them here and there...and I am excited to be working on being more organized in my collections of things. WELL...as I was digging through a bin of vintage 1940's fabric, I came upon some small things that I did when I was little, and decided to share them with you today!

This is a small scrap of material that my mother drew out some shapes...a flower and a bee, when she taught me how to embroider...and then I practiced different stitches. I am assuming the blobby shape to the right is a free form that I did? I have to give you a close up of the bee, as I am loving how cute it is...with the end thread knots showing and everything!


It's funny because in the struggle to knit the world's ugliest scarf (my knitting and practice project) I am really amazed at how much attention and practice it's going to take me to really learn how to knit! I was thinking back to learning how to embroider, and I don't remember learning that skill at all! I do remember picking out the above scrap of material...but nothing else! So, I was thinking that I was pretty young, which I confirmed with my mother last night..."how old was I when you taught me how to embroider?" and she said, "well, you must have been about four" So, it's not too bad for a four year old! Which leaves me wondering if I am not in fact Mensa for embroidery? (since I am so wanting to be Mensa for something and the knitting is kicking my butt!) And thinking that if I was Mensa for that skill, I should probably not be depriving the world of my fabulous creations!
So...I also found the start of what I must assume someone was going to put on a pillow, but got sidetracked...a picture that I drew out of crayons and was transferred to a piece of material. I'm guessing it's now up to me to make some fabulous thing out of it!

I love the composition, and am happy to see that I started out struggling with the drawing of trees...and the sun is a veritable rainbow of colors! One can only assume that the lovely figure to the right is me! Yes...it has my name on it. This may have important so that I didn't have to share it! (or, I had just learned to write it legibly one of the two) See...I had sharing issues then too, and I didn't even have a sibling yet (I am assuming that only because the handwriting is so wonky...that and I am hoping that by age 7, I was writing my name better). The sharing thing has bothered my mother to no end, as she constantly reminds me that I am the Sesame Street generation, and I can sing no less than 4 songs about sharing to you...and yet have sometimes struggled with putting the actual idea to action!
Thanks MOM for getting me started with things other than drawing!

1 comment:

Rozzilyn said...

I totally forgot about the house picture but I can't take any credit for it because I still can't draw that well! So cute and fun to remember.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin