09 January 2008

You Are A Shining Purl...


(see that? Purl instead of pearl...clever aren't I?)

And clever a girl still to have finally finished my knitted scarf project...

mostly.

I mostly finished it. OK, I have to knit 3 more red roses, and I need to block this thing to keep it from rolling up (even though I slipped a stitch on each row before I began which is supposed to help, the thing is still damned curly...) Or I shall rename it as a Neck Tube.

UM. NO.

It took me an entire year to knit this...OK, to be fair, I started it at the end of winter last winter, put it down when it got warm, and got out of the habit of knitting in the 90 degree heat...only to pick it up again and finish it (because to be honest? I was bored with it, and have felt the need to start a new project)

And, last night was Oh Knit with my mother and Rozz, and I desperately needed a new project, lest I die of boredom. I also needed some new yarn...Yes, I know I have an entire basket of yarn sitting in my studio, but one skeins of each color, and nothing quite perfectly suited for what I have in mind. I ran to JoAnn's early in the AM to exchange a set of the wrong sized double pointed needles for the right size, only to be told that without a receipt, they would only give me half credit. What the hell does that mean? They were exactly the same, I just bought the wrong size (I already had that size) and needed a different size...gawds. The craft store is thwarting my every knitting effort. If they weren't the only craft store that sells material in town I would have told them what for.

Damned Fools.

I got the right size needles regardless, and kept the other ones to give to Mom, as I owed her for watching the shop for an hour whilst I went to the Doctor to get all cut up...When I returned to Snap Snap, we all ran down to the yarn store right down the street so I could have her expert advice on some yarn (and a cookie...we had a cookie too, well, Rozz and I did...hey, I was playing hooky from the shop, what do you expect?) I had also gone to another local yarn store earlier in the day, and stood around in a complete panic because I could not for the life of me stop staring at all the pretty colors and find what I needed.

Yarn drama.

It's embarrassing.

I'm like a raven...I stand around staring at all the pretty shiny and get totally and completely excited...followed by overstimulated...then confused...and finally despair, before I walk out. With absolutely nothing in my hand except the car keys that are now dripping with sweat.

Looking for yarn should not be that traumatic, I am a grown woman for cripes sake.

But, then again, I usually have only a slight idea of what I'm making and hardly any experience to back it up (I am a fly by the seat of your pants crafter) and I usually want to buy my supplies right now...and I quite often only have 20 minutes before I have to be somewhere else (cause Rich came down for a quick visit, and I wasn't where I was supposed to be...)

So, I need:

Time.

and a clue...

time and a clue...

Oh, and money...

Lots and lots of money. Buckets and bagfuls of money...Because good yard is very expensive. Unless you like the feel of acrylic against your skin.

Then it's just time and a clue.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Come to Nashville and teach me how to knit!

Bobbypin Bandit said...

I am a fly by the seat of my pants crafter, too!!! Let's win the lottery, it's a definite option. I do like the black and white with the red roses. I have a ton of unfinished projects, don't even get me started on how I leave it all to collect dust!

~Molly~ said...

I craft the exact same way! Which is why I have several tubs and a 5-drawer file cabinet, and even more baskets stashed with balls of yarn for no specific projects. Sigh. I don't mind acrylic though, there are lots of really nice non-wool/cotton/hemp yarns out there!

Your PIF pressie is incubating in my brain, I am hoping to get it done and mailed by the end of January.*G* I had great expectations of having them all done the week before Christmas, what the hell was I thinking??? Anyway, I haven't forgotten.

Molly

flutter said...

Oh my goodness, yeah talk to my Boy about the time I spent 300 dollars in a yarn store. Um, better yet, please don't...

nuttnbunny said...

Oh baby! It's quality not quantity that counts.

Except when talking about money, of course!

:-)

Carol Dunton said...

I have to have the right yarn for a project... I'm currently working on a project that I'm a year late in making because my store didn't have THE yarn I wanted! Finally won it on a auction on ebay!! But it is sooo worth the wait! By the way...I am in love with your wool socks... that your mom made you?? Is that right?? Do tell more!
xoxo
VB

Felicia said...

I'm so thoroughly in love with that fluffy flowers scarf :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin