18 January 2008

Depression

(no, I'm not talking about the current state of the economy)

(or, of my current mental state...although, I could be, as I have had a struggley sort of week...starting with therapy on Wed. working through issues by crying a lot, starting my Thursday morning off watching a touching story about Capuchin Monkeys as assistant animals to parapalegics and crying about all the beauty in the world, and then coming to work this morning, getting the cleaning CD stuck in the CD player patting myself on the back when I coaxed it out (finally) and then finding out, that it refuses to play any CD's now...making me ponder my choices because it's about impossible to find a multi CD player...so, I may end up bringing the Nano to work to play all the groovy tunes or my own stereo from home which still has a sort of working CD player...until then, it will be a Radio flashback weekend at Snap Snap)

Breathe.

But, what I'm really talking about (because I am confident that I will make it through my current state and make the right decisions one way or another) is Chili.

Yes, Chili...

I was driving to Oh Knit the other evening using Gurley St. the main drag here in our quaint town, and passed the new Bar-B-Q joint...weirdly named Porky's. Now, I'm not a big eat bar-b-q'd meat out at a restaurant, and I am a little worried about eating at this particular establishment because of the movie Porky's from the 80's. You know the one? A teenage flick with gratuitous naughty bits sprinkled throughout it? Anyway, it's not necessarily one you need to pick up if you missed it the first time around (although, there are people out there calling it a raunchy classic..wow...there's a claim to fame for you, and I do believe it had a sequel to it as well) but let's just say there was a scene where someone was looking at girls through a hole in the bathroom wall...so, I always think as I drive by this place,

"well...it looks interesting, but I don't know how comfortable I would feel using the restroom there..."

(because apparently with everything else going on...these are the things I choose to think about)

Well, the other day, as I was driving by...there was a sign in the window that said:

Depression Chili $2 a Bowl!!

Which made me wonder...

Is this the sign of current economic times?

I mean, what would be in depression chili...really cheap meat? Horse? Fatty beef? No meat at all...only beans?

or is it a more insidious sign of the times...playing on people's current mental states?

Is it full of Prozac?

5 comments:

~Molly~ said...

Nope to all, it is a real chili, read about it here: http://www.hardtimes.com/ourstory/

and a recipe here:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/printerfriendly/1207356

I think you should go get a bowl!!

Btw, we are experiencing SNOW here in northeast Texas, not much but if you squint and stare for a few seconds you can make out the flakes. We also have sleet and other nastiness but nothing is sticking and it isn't heavy.

Depression Chili sounds mighty tasty to me right now!

flutter said...

she totally beat me to it! Depression chili is sooooo freakin good.

Bobbypin Bandit said...

I have never heard of depression chili, but my guess would have been that after you ate it, you would feel depressed. Maybe? I don't know. Just a guess.

Anonymous said...

I swear, New Mexicans don't know what chili is. They think it's the actual pepper. Shah!

(Would you like red or green with that?)

Anonymous said...

That's funny. I'm guessing it's good. :D

I was just on a site that posted a soft pretzel recipe... that and some chili might chase away these Saturday blahs.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin