10 January 2008

I Think I Can Just Use The Blade...


These are the words that I heard the doctor utter as he left the room while I was being all numbed up.

I went to the dermatologist for a quick appointment on Tuesday. I needed to have something removed from my skin...in an area of my body I'd rather not name here right now. I visited a dermatologist for the same reasons years ago, and couldn't for the life of me remember whom it was in town. You see...my family doesn't go to the doctor very often (we are lucky like that...I am also completely allergic to all antibiotics and a lot of other things, so I try to go as natural as possible...go team homeopathic!) and I asked my mother who my GG goes to when she needs things carved out of various parts of her body.

"someone with an Italian name"

OK. I searched the phone book and found him...made an appointment...and they could get me in at the end of the month. That was 4 weeks away folks, and this thing needed to be looked at...I was worried. You know, you hear everyone your whole life tell you to keep a watch on skin things, "If anything changes...the color, appearance, or size...you must immediately get to a doctor because it could be cancer...or something else equally as horrible" I mean...I've been led to believe this was a bit of an emergency, eh? Yet, in a whole month, I could be seen...important parts of my body could completely fall off by then. We got to the end of all the phone questions, and she asked for my insurance company. None. I'm sorry, but I have none. She said she was sorry, they didn't take cash patients.

Oh really?

Nope. And, they had absolutely no recommendations for another doctor here in town. Well, I find this fascinating. I have never been refused medical treatment because I have cash and, it makes me wonder why? The only reason I could come up with was that so the office could over bill insurance companies (which could be why we're in the shape we're in with the medical community in this nation) But...I'm open to any other theories you may have.

As it was, the new place I called got me an appointment in less than 3 business days. Now I didn't have to worry about any body parts falling off...well, only the one my Doctor proceeded to remove at any rate. And, if you count being numbed and hacked at with first scissors (until he said, "nope...hand me the blade, and give me some traction!" ugh. Mental note to self...wear iPod when getting things removed from body) and then sawed at with a razor blade fun...

I had a great time!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've gotta admit, I'm feeling a little queasy reading that. Glad you could get in to a second doctor so quickly. But, seriously -- not accepting a cash patient? WTH? It's MONEY.

Elle said...

Yucky experience... hope everything's okay!

~Molly~ said...

Oh good God! How awful on all counts! Hope you are recovering nicely and it is just "aging" making your spots change. I've found that as I get older I'm getting more skin tags and rough spots(can't remember what they are but they are weird) as well as ugly brown splotches on my face and migrating eyebrows... uh, maybe I should quit while I'm ahead.LOL

Won't take cash?? I'd probably look deeper into that one and possibly report them, sounds illegal to me.

Anonymous said...

I hope you're okay... this concerns me....You're okay, right??????

stilettoheights said...

I hate the healthcare system in this country.

I say this as a fellow cash patient.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin