04 January 2008

It's Like Hillbilly Goth...


That's what Arthur described to me in rather hushed tones after we left The Raven Cafe' after enjoying a bit of coffee type beverages sometime last week...

OK, who am I kidding...he exclaimed rather loudly as we stepped onto the busy small town street of Prescott,

"Gawd...did you see that?!?! "

I looked up at him confusedly...

"Everyone in there was wearing black! Everyone...it was weird...like...like...Hillbilly Goth"

Which almost made me collapse onto the sidewalk with mirth...as it was, I had to stop and lean against a building for support...well, until I looked down and realized that I was wearing black corduroys, a black sweater (with gray and white in it) topped off with a long black wool jacket.

Damn.


This gave me pause...have I given up in the winters in a small Northern town in Arizona? Have I become what I always loathed? A Goth Red Neck? 2 seconds I paused about this before breaking into a gale of hysteria...that usually lasts as long as Arthur visits home. And Arthur hasn't been home for 4 years (at least)...

Usually when I see him, I squeal and launch myself across Snap Snap to hug him (because he visits every day when he's home) and I never know just when he's going to show up. We've been friends for more than 20 years...and I never realize how much I miss having him in my life until he pops back in for a few weeks. It's odd because we're so similar and do have so much fun together...yet, we hardly keep in touch when he's not visiting...a phone call here and there, a package, and email...but it never seems to hinder our relationship, because every time I think about him, I smile. We also dated briefly in our college years...but, we don't hold that against each other either, and I'm relieved that we can put everything aside and get down to the nitty-gritty...

Our friendship.

We're so similar, we laugh at the same things, like the same music and movies and have similar attitudes about life. He called for an early morning chat the other day and I was remarking that we're both so cynical..."Oh no Sadie, we're both very hopeful and passionate people that so desperately want everything to work out...So much so, that we mask our vulnerability with humor." Oh. Yes Arthur, that hits the nail on the head...and brings a few tears to my eyes with it's accuracy and sheer poetry. He quickly followed the serious with the quip, "You and I? We see the glass as half full...but, there's a pubic hair floating in it."

Ah. Well...

But, I digress. We went out for sushi last night...and ate our weight in raw fish and seaweed, discussing the finer points of food (his partner is a quite the gourmet cook, reminding me that I should go visit sometime in the future...and don't you just love talking about good food when you're eating good food? Oh, and the similar chopstick photos are one of Arthur and then one of his self-proposed "good side") And he had to slyly tell me about another saying he'd made up...(you see, Arthur and I have always dreamed about starting a bumper sticker company...and we're forever saying, "oh...here's a good bumper sticker" and I wish that I had written down all of our ideas over the years...and he generously let me write a post about him with the only agreement being, "everything I've said is copyrighted" OK...done!) This saying he's come up with has been tweaked to match a book written about our fair city, uh town...called, "Prescott...rhymes with Biscuit" (because you don't pronounce Prescott like it looks...You pronounce it "Pres-kitt" which is very annoying to me because it sounds lazy...but then again, it does have a nice ring to it when you use a western drawl...Preeeeees-kit) His new saying:

Prescott...Rhymes with Suck-It!

Which elicited yet another round of hysterics...We've already designed an entire t-shirt line. It doesn't totally suck up here (as much as it did when we were all growing up) and I figure he has the right to say it...as not only was he born here, but subjected to all things Prescott as well (thank goodness for all the great friends and family we all had) Plus, I think it's totally out of love he makes fun of Prescott so...

because secretly?

I think he would love to move back home...

(OK...and thank you for all the bang love you guys!! Good heavens, I've been needing a pick-me-up...you guys are the best! And 16? Heavens...how lovely indeed. I won't tell you my exact age [calculators ready] but I will tell you that I was born in 1970...which yes, does make me a year and a half older than Rich...)

7 comments:

Carol Dunton said...

You two look like you're having such a great time! I think it's very wonderful that you and Arthur are such good friends after 20 years! Isn't that neat when two people can pick up where they left off time and time again?? How wonderful to have such a great guy in your life to be buddies with. Enjoy the treats of the fair city of Pres-cuit! It personally drives me nuts when people misprounce it! Argh! : )
VB

Anonymous said...

If I wake up the baby with all this cackling it will be all your fault! LOL! "hillybilly goth" I may have to steal that.

Oh, and that makes you the same age as me, give or take a day or two. :D

flutter said...

I think I love him. Hillbilly goth....I got this picture of a giant truck rolling by with a coonhound blaring Siouxsie and the Banshees...

Rusty said...

He looks like "Mr. Big" from Sex and the City.

We used to call ourselves 'citybillies' back when we were cool...yes, that was a million years ago.

Anonymous said...

hillbilly goth! sounds like a country music song...

Anonymous said...

oh, and when I come to prescott, please steer me away from that half-full restaurant with the hair in the drinks...
ewwwwwwwww!

Felicia said...

Hillbilly Goth! hehehhehe How awesome to hang out with a dear long time friend :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin