02 January 2008

Launching Myself Into...


The New Year...

With vigor and zest
(that would be excitement, not the soap...wow, do they even make Zest anymore, or did I just date myself?) No matter...it was with cautious optimism I welcomed the new year in (yeah, I'm feeling real risky this year...)

By trying to sleep
through the 30 minutes of fireworks happening outside my window...honestly? I had just come home from a New Year's Eve extravaganza of fun and mellow sitting back and eating...I um, mean...having fun, but an evening that left my eyes feeling a little heavy, so I went home and crawled into bed early. It's OK with me...the new year is really here for another 364 days or so...oh but wait, 2008 is a leap year isn't it?

I started the New Year off as I usually do...which is with the intention to un-decorate for Christmas...which is exactly what happened, and in record time...things were down and packed away for another year (except for the few things here and there that keep popping up that I totally forgot were in that particular place) Which kind of makes me feel a little sad that the house is so empty, yet relieved that there is a clean slate again from which to create...

After all of that excitement, I toodled over to Megan and Matt's house for an Indian Jones Marathon...where Megan had made black eyed peas and rice (totally yummy and certainly welcome for a bit of good luck in the coming year for sure) and Doritos (that someone had just happened upon, and none of us have eaten in a good while, so it was a bit of a weird and delicious unexpected treat) and Junior Mints...Good company (Matt, Megan, Dan, Jen and Ollie) and good food...what else could one ask for?

Lounging around under a quilt and wearing a pair of my new wool socks I got for Christmas makes for a lovely First Day of the New Year afternoon...

I left during
the second IJ movie (which is my least favorite, but now all of a sudden, I want to see all the way through sometime) to run over to the Airstream for a viewing of The Big Lebowski...which Rich and I have never seen, but duly cracked up over for a couple of hours (The Coen Brothers are amazing movie makers...well, except for Blood Simple, that movie scared me) More relaxing with good company (I'm treating myself well...so, I'm already off to a good start, eh?)

Then Home again...for a quiet evening of reading. Which ended up as an evening on the phone instead with one call being from my sister...whom I totally forgot to wish a Happy Birthday on the blog (her birthday is Christmas, and while I didn't forget to send a gift, I totally spaced a good birthday wish...damn.) Happy Birthday Girl!!

I can't say that I have any resolutions for the upcoming year put in place, no words of wisdom to impart either...I'm kind of tapped out in the wisdom department at the moment. I would like to get walking around the neighborhood again (at least)

OH...and grow my bangs out.

7 comments:

Tonya said...

Is that Dan hiding behind the popcorn? Looks like his hands. Well I'm glad that you had fun, I slept due to still being ill.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good way to kick off 2008. I have to agree with you on the Indiana Jones movies. I think my fave is the third, but I have the hots for Sean Connery. Which is a heck of a lot easier for most people to deal with than my crush on Jerry Orbach.

~Molly~ said...

Be still my heart! Doritos and Junior Mints? Oh you lucky girl!!

I let my bangs grow out a few years ago, had never done that before because I have a terribly high forehead. Anyway, it was all one lovely length and I decided it needed to be permed. Suffice to say, a month later 80% of it had broken off and I got the Sinead O'Conner cut soon after. My hair trauma tops your pin-up bangs any day!LOL My hair grows so freaking slow too, it is just now starting to look medium instead of short(I have had a few haircuts since then though).

I don't have resolutions this year either, except to take care of myself and the family.

Molly

Bobbypin Bandit said...

You're not fully clean unless your zestfully clean!! Happy new Year!! Indiana Jones is one of my favorite trilogies. I hope the new year brings you tons of fun!! oxoxox

Anonymous said...

Still worried about those bangs? they'll be fine!

Felicia said...

Sounds like a pretty fun new year. And yes, they still make Zest soap :)

luvmygreenbug said...

what a fun New Year's celebration you had!...I'm still trying to get myself motivated to get back into my walking, but it's been SO COLD here (any old excuse, right?)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin