23 November 2006

Happy Thanksgiving...

Well...this is the first year that nothing had to die for our holiday dinner. I did not miss the sleepy feeling that I usually get from eating turkey....and I brought mashed potatoes (when searching deep inside for what I would really miss from a traditional Thanksgiving dinner, this is all I could come up with)

My mother has been eating raw food for about 2 years, and has been a vegetarian longer than that...

So, what do Raw Food Eaters eat for a feast?

Well...a lot! My mother made perogies. These consisted of a pate like cheese filing (made from nuts and a red pepper) wrapped in really thinly sliced jicama (we had a bit of a meltdown on the exact slicer, because we didn't have the exact right one...and finally went with a peeler) covered in a raw tomato sauce...they were delicious!






We also had portabello burgers (raw mushrooms sliced in half with a walnut and basil pate, fresh tomato and basil) A fruit salad, a regular salad, and some olives (because what else does one put on one's fingers during the holidays?)















And a few cooked things...Mashed potatoes, with mushroom gravy, green beans and yams...and cranberry sauce. Most everything was organic...and amazing...we managed to stuff ourselves quite well.



My mother and I waddled, I mean walked to my house afterwards to help the settling...
so we could enjoy dessert...





...My 2 pies, one pumpkin, one sweet-potato-pecan, and mom's "please cake" The raw food eaters answer to cheese cake. I love this! it's mostly nuts and coconut (and costs about $40 to make...those macadamias make for a creamy consitancy, but a killer in price! I reminded mom that an organic turkey's bound to cost that now...and this probably has more protein and is easier to digest) with a raspberry sauce on the top. We also had yummy soy whipped cream for the pumpkin pie...A perfect end to a perfect meal...(and yes, I make little oak leaves and put the "veins" in them for the border of my fall pies...check out the previous post for a more close up)

I hope everyone else had an amazing holiday. I will be enjoying sleeping in, instead of running out to shop tomorrow morning, and I don't think there's anything that I really need that badly this year!

1 comment:

Jolene George said...

Everything looks so yummy!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin