03 October 2008

Turn Up The Heat...


Yesterday morning found me waking up early and jumping in the shower (unlike this morning, which found me plugging in the phone in the wee hours after a low battery warning...this after waking up from 2 late night texts, a late night phone call from my sweetie, cleaning up cat throw-up...and did I mention there is a controlled burn right now? Yeah...I gave up and turned the alarm off and slept in instead of dragging butt to the gym) Um...yeah, right...yesterday...getting ready early to wait for the Heater Man.

Foolsewoode is vintage estate...built 1924...and the heater was clunckity clankity in a sort of strange and unsettling way last season before I chose to ignore it and turn it off entirely. But, you know you can never turn that stuff off entirely to ignore it, and it's somewhere in the back of your mind...Hmmmm, I wonder what will happen when I turn the heater on this season? Plus? I've never had the heater checked or cleaned since I moved in...

Come to find out, the heater is only about 20 years old, and my repair person Mark, from Aardvark Heating and Cooling...said everything looks great, it was alittle dirty, but no leaks or other horrible things...but he cautioned that usually at 20, heaters can start to wear out. Aardvark was recommended by some good friends who have been using them to keep their rather old furnace running for a long time...I think that they're all a little surprised that it's still kicking...but, after meeting Mark, he's what I call, Old Prescott. He came in and chatted about my house, and told me about the old houses he's lived in while he's lived here...he knows what he's doing and carries an air of confidence and something more. Sometimes when you deal with people who've lived in the same small town, there's a sort of camaraderie...you know these people have your back and they're not just trying to sell you some new fangled system just to make money, but they're willing to put their back into it and save you money...and better than that, save the system you already have the absoulte best they can.

He loved my vintage thermostat...saying, "No...don't replace it! Simpler is better!" Plus? I think it looks almost like a piece of artwork on my wall. We have a lot of good businesses in town! Aardvark is also that business that offers a $49.95 cleaning and check of your heating and cooling systems...if you're in town, or the tri-city area...keep them in mind.

Now I'm feeling more comfortable about my heater for the season. I know if something happens with my heater, I'm going to be OK...I also know what it will cost to replace my heating system if the worst happens...A huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders...A weight that I didn't even realize was there.

And, it's all just in time for the cold snap this weekend...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aardvark... funny name.

That is a cool thermostat. Mine is plain 70s box style... yuck!

Glad to hear it's all okay.

flutter said...

I would kill for a cold snap.

Anonymous said...

Still toasty here at the Airstream! Haven't hit the heat yet!!!

sulu-design said...

Yes, that thermostat is gorgeous! I hope you'll keep it.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin