05 October 2008

The Perfect Day for Sailing...


Which is not exactly what we did on the first full day Rich's family is in town...but, we did walk up to the top of The Dells to see other people enjoying the day sailing...they were probably the sailing sort of people, which is exactly what Rich's family is...seeing as they live on a lake, but I have never been sailing.

I know...it's a travesty. Especially since I love the water so much. But, living in Arizona doesn't often afford one the opportunity to sail...then again, maybe I've been hanging out with the wrong people...people that don't have sailboats...because if I remember correctly, Rich actually knows how to sail, and would probably gladly take me, if we only had a boat.

So...there's that.

Anyway, we all met last night at the Airstream (seeing as Rich's family drove all the way out here in their RV and are now perfectly situated right across from him...) with lots of hugs and getting to know yous over dinner...it was so exciting finally getting to meet everyone! Although, it was a little cold...we've had a bit of a cold snap around these parts, and were a little shivery sitting around eating...

Welcome to Sunny Arizona indeed.

The drastic weather changes are usually always making a fool out of us in front of other people...

We made plans to meet this morning at the gallery...which after a quick visit with my mom and Rozz, I skipped down there to check it out. The new space is shaping up great...Ian is outdoing himself, and there will be no problems having it all ready by the big opening night on October 18th...so close isn't it? But, the space is beautiful, and you absolutely must stop by if you're in town...Rich's family were able to bring out some of his posessions with them, and they are finding the perfect home in the printing room at the new gallery...

After spending some time at the gallery, we roamed around downtown, checking out some of the shops and noticed a little antiques show on the square. Years ago my mother started Antiques on the Square to help promote the local antique stores, and stopped doing it when she sold her shop...They still do two shows a year, and this was one of them. It was a lot smaller of a turn out than I remember, and I spied some wonderful vintage pilgrim and turkey candles like I collect, but I thought the $10 each price tag was a little out of my reach right now, so I settled for a small pile of vintage Valentine's instead...I'll post them later. At $1 each, they were a steal, and something I've been wanting for my Valentine's Day mantle.

Vintage Valentines? Check.

After meandering about, we decided to go to lunch at The St. Michael's Hotel, which has lovely veggie burgers and other tempting goodies...then we quickly ran back to Foolsewoode for a tour and a quick change of clothes and shoes for me before heading back to the Airstream to hike in The Dells...

We did a quick hike, remembering that everyone is still adjusting to the time change and the thin thin air up here...being a mile high takes it's toll on visitors, and had a great time watching every one's reactions to the amazing rock formations and views from the top of our part of the world.

As you can see, Rich is taking his regular pointing position, pointing over here and there introducing all the good sights...I swear I have more than one photo of Rich pointing at something in the distance or giving someone direction...It's kind of his look.

We're planning a trip to Sedona tomorrow, and more traveling fun this week, so you'll certainly have to keep checking back...it's going to be a good busy one, and one that I've taken a little much needed time off for...I am lucky to have been invited to spend most of this first week showing Rich's family around, except for the 2 days my awesome gal can't cover because of school...

Close to camping or a trip in the Airstream? I think this will be a wonderful break!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That is gorgeous! Have fun and I can't wait to see more pics!

sulu-design said...

Love the photo of Rich in his "usual pose." I always get pictures of Barry from behind, at least when we're hiking. My 5'4" frame can't compete with his 6'2" stride!
Sounds like you all are having a lovely time together (and vintage Valentines are icing on the cake).

Anonymous said...

OOh... you're having too much fun. STOP THAT. *giggle*

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin