02 October 2006

Sunday October 1st...

Participants:
  • R.C.
  • Rozzilyn
  • Sadira
  • Susan



Well...first off let me say, what an amazing day! With pie in hand/car we made our way over to a wonderful home for an amazing afternoon (again, the same man who's son made all the shoes for Jay's runway show) We started our time together touring the outside...and as you can see, R. has created an amazing place here. He has tons of stuff to look at placed all around this amazing well taken care of (and planned...making me rethink my non-landscaping, bloom where you've fallen, yard)...with a sweet (although concerned and somewhat mischievous) looking gnome on a swing...perhaps it's the cow skull in the tree? Perhaps it's just the nature of gnomes...











A wonderful wind decoration twirls about...that, in my opinon, just enhances the view he has...

















A cute little stick hut...which I can't remember the name of at the moment...but we all decided since the javelina haven't knocked it down, they're using it as a summer home (yes, he's making all of this stuff...you should see the paintings he's done!) And the sweetest little skull that he actually carved into a piece of wood...which I forgot to take a picture of...he's descended from quite a tallented carver and other artists...so, as you can imagine, it's a great piece!

And, if I wasn't excited about the outside...the inside was spectacular. I did not take pictures because I felt a bit weird, but I'm telling you...it was amazing! He has an incredible collection of antiques (including an Italian buffet and table with carved faces and grapes on it...it seriously took my breath away) beautiful art, vintage maps, prints and photos abound...and the books? OH MY...the books! They are everywhere and they are incredible! The library (all 3 rooms) fairly reek of the most amazing smell of antique books...oh yumm, pure heaven...And yes, this even eclipsed the smell of the coffee and apple pie! He has met so many famous authors...and the Edward Gorey stuff he has just made me giddy. We had an exciting time eating, drinking, telling stories, and laughing...It was hard to go home.

Meandering around the grounds? sitting in the kitchen, and on the deck? drinking good coffee and eating apple pie? stretched out on the floor looking at rare books? This is indeed, my idea of a great afternoon. We stayed quite a while...and if we'd brought more food, we may still be there! R's passion and knowledge is inspiring...and has infused me with excitement about my own small collections!

Thank you R...a good time was had by all!



And...I was a bit creative in the evening as well...

I was making a challenge for myself this week called "A handbag a day" because I want to keep up the supply at the shop. So, I made this little western themed one, and took it to the shop today. However, the day has gone by without another handbag...so maybe tomorrow?















Here's a little close-up of the detailing...can you believe that it says Prescott Arizona on it? I made the outside from a rayon dress, and the lining was created from a gingham checked curtain.









And because I usually have nothing to wear...


A new collaged t-shirt. There's 2 little skulls there in between all of the roses...but don't you think the pink and polka-dots make it look that much more girley? It's getting to the point where it's more fun wearing things I've made than just buying things and wearing them off the rack...
I just love it!

2 comments:

Kate said...

I want that handbag!

Jolene George said...

Love the fabric on the Prescott bag.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin