19 October 2006

Family...

Well...here they are...my mother (the blurry woman on the left...OK, sorry, we were out at a darkish restaurant and I didn't use my flash) and her brother, my Uncle Bob and his wife, my Aunt Marc. They have been here for the past 2 days visiting. They are magnificent farmers from the fertile area of California (I know, which one?) They have raised oranges, Fuji apples...and now Pakistani mulberries (of which, I received some jam. And did you know, there are no pests with mulberries, so they don't spray them...they are organic! Expensive too, but organic!) and a couple of variety of figs, and well...you name it. We've had a fun time eating mass quantities of yummy food, last night, we stuffed ourselves at the Taj Mahal, the best Indian restaurant. They have an incredible vegan buffet on Wednesday nights (and November 6th...I think, they're having belly dancers and a special buffet...always a good time, as it's usually the local belly dancing troupe performing with fire and swords...as well as your every-day belly dancing)

My aunt and uncle were here visiting my grandmother mostly...she's 92, and the amazing woman behind the crochet flowers that I decorate a lot of my creations with, and also the woman behind keeping the family together. We don't get to see everyone much as they live in California, but both of my mother's siblings came to visit this year. My grandmother wanted to have a reunion, but not everyone could come at the same time, so we were able to enjoy them as they came separately. I was remarking to both my mom and grandmother that now that I am older, I feel like I can connect with everyone differently. It's been so much fun to just sit and talk and hear family stories, both of the past and present...all the memories that everyone has about the family. It's hard for me to remember that my mother has siblings, and that there was an entire life that was lived before I came on the scene, and I love to watch everyone interact with each other. My life seems to be unfolding and in the opening up it's like I'm looking around for the first time and hearing and seeing all new things. I am realizing too, how lucky I am to have such a wonderful and diverse family full of the neatest people with so much knowledge and experience. For instance, my uncle was able to show my mom how to prune her apple trees for the next season...and give her all sorts of suggestions about how to heal all her fruit trees, and ease her fears about some things that were going on with the pests (they've been neglected for quite a while now) The things he knows about growing fruits is both invaluable and fascinating!

Thank you all for your sweet comments yesterday as well (I'm going to print them out and hang them up for posterity) I am feeling more stable today (big sigh of relief) and seeing more and more layers fall away and heal...I am grateful for all of you, my family and my friends...

PS:
  • Dina, indeed that is the dress you were stalking...I am so happy one of us got it, so stop feeling guilty.
  • Dina, tell Superman and Lou-Lou I am extremely excited about the sleepover! But, no scary movies, like Monster House...
  • Liz...I meant to tell Dina to pass on some muffins...oops, another batch with be forthcoming...and I hope you come out with us to Traveller next weekend (silly me, I thought it was this weekend, but it's the 27th...Friday!) dancing and eating...
  • Is anyone else cold? 32 degrees tonight? Thank goodness I have a cat to sleep on my head! Brrrr...
  • Wa-Hoo Project Runway! Yay Jeffery...did anyone else cry at the end of that one? I loved his collection, it was exciting and creative, and made me want to get busy sewing! Congratulations!

2 comments:

Jolene George said...

How fun to know people who are so knowledgeable about fruit trees. my inlaws just move to Casa Grand from Vegas. They are amazing gardners, so I plan to get their help and tips to start a small garden of my own.

thatgirldina said...

Everyday belly dancing? For some reason this has me cracking up!

Your uncle and his wife sounds fascinating! And horray for visiting family who come bearing gifts. The jam sounds yummy good! Mulberry jam is perfect on hot scones when it's cold outside. Oh...I bet it'd be delish with the peach spelt at Pangea. Okay, I'm drooling now. Can you tell I am ready for dinner? haha!

Can't wait for the sleepover! We'll have to plot and plan over coffee soon.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin