05 July 2006

Self Portrait Challenge



Myself as a knitter

I was just telling Kate yesterday...If I was to name and start my own knitting blog, it would be titled:

The Reluctant Knitter
This is because I was not under any circumstances wanting to learn how to knit.
nope

no way...
I did not want to learn how to do one more thing.
not in my busy life...
nope
no way...
Now, my mom and Kate both knit (and, my mom has taken it to the level that not only can she knit...but can also spin her own fibers...yes, with a spinning wheel) so,as you can imagine, I have been asked several times if I wanted to learn how to knit...and was always adamant and was able to walk away. Then...When a friend of mine learned that knitting is an activity that you do that uses both sides of your brain, he was wanting to learn.
I gave in...
I had to
the seduction was too great...
(I couldn't be the only one not knitting...That and I have a huge fear of being left out or missing something)

Now I knit.

And I love it...

I can knit on double pointed needles (hoping to make my own socks soon), on regular needles, and circular needles. I'm learning how to read patterns, and am loving how connected I feel when my mother and I or Kate and I...Or anyone and myself...Knit with each other. Being connected to each other and to everyone on the planet in our history who has knitted...Made things for their families and themselves...Useful and fun projects...Used their creativity and skill to nurture the people in their lives...So, there is a long line here isn't there? And to be connected to them in this way is an amazing feeling. So now I say to knitting...
Yup...
yes way...
gladly...
joyfully!



3 comments:

Rozzilyn said...

You look like the happy knitter!

Jolene George said...

Great picture! My grandmother taught me to crochet and I was taught to knit when I was very young...but I can't remember how. I would need a refresher course. My good friend September knitted me a very soft and pretty scarf for Christmas. I love it.

Anonymous said...

yay for giving in to knitting!! .. such a productive while relaxing activity

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin