31 July 2007

It's Paying Off...

I went on two walks yesterday...

One in the AM and one in the PM. I seem to have a lot of extra energy coming from a lot of life events and feelings to walk off...or through...or just utilize them as fuel for:

Project Reduce the Ass (2007)





It had rained quite a bit yesterday in between my walks, resulting in the loss of power downtown at one point even...and as I ventured outside in the evening, I witnessed a wet and beautiful world...green carpeting covering the Prescott earth. And it smelled like...

well, quite like...

Tea.

Comforting in the being embraced by the Earth type of thing...having the mother invite you to sit down for a cuppa'?





I had about a million thoughts swirling around in my head, I have to admit that it's been like that lately...presentation of scenarios with no solutions...

things drifting in and out...
I am trying to let them all go...those thoughts...like sand slowly slipping through my fingers, not knowing what's going to happen next, and trying not to grab a hold too tightly...for fear of strangulation...




I thought a walk
would help to clear my head, switch directions...let go of unattainable focus. Plus, it indulges one of my rather voyeuristic habits...

I have to confess that I enjoy walking in the evening because I can peer into people's windows. Walk by a lot of my favorite Prescott homes and gawk. Congratulating myself on how I've decorated my home...and enjoy what other people have done to theirs...

Peeking in the windows (OK...let me clarify, I'm just walking by, I don't sneak across lawns...) of the homes that sell every other day (every community has those right? Homes that make you say, "good heavens that house is for sale again? What idiot would buy that?")

Then, I came across a home with two people in the kitchen together...dancing that dance of making dinner after a busy day...helping each other out. I don't know, maybe they were arguing too...but it didn't look like it.

It made me feel a bit lonely.
For that. For that easy dance you share with someone sometimes in your kitchen, knowing exactly how to help...and what to do. When someone knows you so very well, a secret glance and a happy smile. The sharing of how your day was...while you nurture each other.

Serves me right for peeping doesn't it?

And, I watched the clouds turn to pink and light up the trees and the horizon, and reached for the hand of the person beside me...and realized that I was walking this one alone tonight. Then, the iPod played Il Secondo Giorno, from the Marie Antoinette soundtrack for me, and I felt a little wooed and flirted with. Then David Bowie stopped by singing Golden Years, which made me pick up the pace a bit...and smile, cause' I love me some David Bowie (Love Soul Train...my mom and I used to watch it all the time when I was little...and isn't he super young in that video?) Sigh.

And I came home...

And, I know I'm Ok, always have been, and will probably continue to be...

Of course, after the peeping the best part is?

My walks are paying off on so many levels...
Not only the obvious ones like exercise and fresh air certainly,
but, between the two walks?

while looking down on the ground?

I found 26 cents...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hubby hank laughs at me when we go driving at night. I like to peek in windows as we drive by houses.

Just simple curiosity -- no mal intent. I just want to see how people decorate their homes. That's it. Nice to know I'm not alone!

:-D)

Carol Dunton said...

You have such a way with the words... I do the same thing when walking through my neighborhood. A familiarity happens when you walk by day after day after day. Loved your taking us with you for a bit on your walk...
VB

laura capello said...

damn. i should start walking.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to have to start walking at night too. The kids and I usually walk during the early evening to pick up the mail and so I don't get to enjoy that voyeuristic aspect.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful walk! I've got to start my own reduce the bottom walking :)

Anonymous said...

I did a little of that "reducing the bottom line" this morning. I'm hurtin' but in a good way.

Beautiful sunset pics! And I'm a big '80s Bowie lover. Pressure. Fame. Golden Years. China Girl. It's all good.

nuttnbunny said...

Project Reduce the Ass PLUS 26 cents!?!?! Count me in.

Anonymous said...

Heh... project reduce ass. I'm on that too... and I wish I'd found 26 cents. NO GO! I'm seeing a new physician tomorrow to discuss why it is that I work this hard with no results.

sulu-design said...

You know I love the window peeking opportunities! I'm glad you wrote about your walks - I think I need one myself to clear my head after two weeks of unsuccessful apartment hunting. Thanks for the good idea.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin