30 July 2007

Weekend of Rest...

?
Well, it was restful for me, lets put it that way. I am finding that it is indeed hard to keep a good woman down (although I almost was down cause of all the dairy and wheat on that pizza "treat" of mine) My big plans were not to do much of anything this weekend. Since I can't just laze around (I don't have a couch, so it's hard for me to lie around in the living room...good excuse eh?) So, let's just say that I didn't do anything stressful..

I woke up early-ish on Saturday morning with sewing on my mind. I thought for my little lunch and movie date, that I would try to look nice (one always should on a date, even if it is with oneself) So, I tootled into the studio and discovered a rather large pile of almost done sewing projects and things I needed to mend. I dove right in, and it took all of 5 minutes to fix the things in the pile (rolling my eyes at the level of procrastination)


Then, it was onto the skirt. That was an easy project that took all of about a half hour...I've made so many skirts, it's kind of old hat by now. I put an elastic waistband in this one, so that was easier than my normal waistband, which I have never mastered, and can not for the life of me get it to turn out to my satisfaction, so usually is sits on my waist gaping open, or held together with safety pins...

Such levels of perfection, eh?









I was trying
to take some arty pictures of myself to shake it up a little...I like the first picture, although it looks a little blurry, which is weird because I was sitting still, so I added the second one so you could see the skirt better, but I think my face looks odd and I'm not to impressed with the way my body looks either...Plus, I was happily surprised that all my running around launching myself at my rather vintage kitchen table didn't result in the table collapsing into a heap of matchsticks.

I also had some pictures of myself taken while holding the camera above my head...with more of my torso in the shot. And let me tell you, that perspective makes me look really thin...it also affords you a great view down the V-neck of my tee...so those pictures were cut from the final choices.

My sushi lunch and viewing of the latest Harry Potter movie was divine! I also, enjoyed the previews of new movies coming up: Across the Universe, Stardust, Enchanted, Beowulf, and Get Smart (one of my favorite shows when I was a kid)

Then, I came home for a leisurely rest of my day sitting and enjoying the overcast, cold and rainy weather, chocolate covered raisins...and watching a bunch of movies here at home.

It was so cloudy...I decided to turn on my little fireplace...and light a ton of candles. I've been doing that lately at night when I get home and relax...light candles. Between that and the twinkle lights I have set up all around, it's quite romantic...



...and Sunday? Well, I woke up to 24 hours worth of warnings for flash floods (it's been about 48 hours straight of warnings) but...it was sunny. Quite sunny as a matter of fact...when I walked to my mom's to collect the Sunday paper, I was quite sweaty...Which made me wonder about making the chicken in the crock pot like I planned, but I did it anyway...

And later?
Oh boy, did it cloud up within minutes and thunder and lightning so much that the cat took one last look at me for the afternoon before she jumped off the back of my chair and landed under the bed...

Look at all the lovely rushing water in the creek...



Except the creek is the road to my house (yes, a dirt road in the middle of downtown) These pictures were taken after the torrential downpour. It was blowing in one side of the house so hard at one point (it's always been like that during the monsoons...we would often leave the dry house in the morning, to come home to wet carpet in the afternoons) that I had to beat closed a couple of windows with my hammer (just the frames, not the glass...and this was after there were several deep puddles on the kitchen floor, which was good cause' I needed to mop)


And we know what happens when it rains like this
...I run from window to window checking the water level. I had a small water problem last year...under the back door of the basement...not good. So, I ran out with a metal hoe and a pissed off attitude of "bring it on", and dug a bunch of little water troughs to divert the water...which has helped the problem immensely...I cleared them out the other day after a big rain...and was excited to wait until the middle of a huge downpour and lightning, to take up the metal hoe in hand once again (wearing pink sandals I'll have you know) and do some more water diversion. You just can't tell where exactly the water's going to go until it's barreling down both driveways...

So...this weekend was my little version of relaxing...I am working 6 days in a row this week...so I am going to need to do some extra resting (I am planning on posting...we'll see what weird ramblings I come up with)

Oh...I vacuumed too,
but it wasn't nearly as fun as being out in the rain with metal in my hand...

5 comments:

rebecca said...

My viewing of the new Harry Potter movie was also divine... and followed by a sushi lunch! An absolutely fabulous combo. My weekend was also quite leisurely, minus the 4.5 hours I worked shooting at a wedding Saturday evening. That was insane. Jesse & I went to see "No Reservations" -- we never see "date" movies, usually action or cartoon ones. It was a nice change for us.

Glad to hear you had a nice relaxing weekend!

Anonymous said...

We did Greek for our Harry Potter outing. Sushi sounds divine. May have to hit that for lunch tomorrow. The skirt turned out fab -- and I love the whole ensemble.

Anonymous said...

The skirt turned out so cute! And I love the matching shoes and toes.

I can totally picture you out in the pouring rain, pink sandaled, wielding your hoe. Tempting fate and living to tell about it! :)

Anonymous said...

Pink sandals will always subdue the rain gods...btw, love the poppy fabric. Very retro!

Carol Dunton said...

Love the pictorial of your weekend... and you just amaze me with how quickly you can sew up skirts!! Honestly, it would have taken me two days to make that...I'm such a slow sewer uh... as in sew-er not as in the place where ucky water runs into!!
Pretty in poppies!! :)
VB

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin