09 July 2007

Sunday July 8th...

Ok...I certainly can't start this post without the expression of what a wonderful entire weekend I had. It was just the right amount of relaxation, and adventure and creativity...exactly what I needed!

I started Saturday with a trip to Fossil Creek...Ok, It was supposed to be a trip to Fossil Creek, but it turned out to be a small jaunt down the extremely wash-boarded road on the way to Fossil Creek before we looked at each other, raised our eyebrows, and decided our time would be better spent on a smoother paved road (a recently washed truck played into that decision too) and headed up to Strawberry instead...on the way, we witnessed quite a forest fire brewing in the mountains out that way ('tis the fire season here) we saw quite a few slurry bombers, helicopters, and hot shot vehicles, but no flames (thank goodness)

We made it to Strawberry and toured around a bit before heading back home...all the while enjoying sight-seeing, multiple viewing of clouds in the sky, heated fun discussions, and a lot of arm waving...well, on my part anyway. I do tend to be quite expressive with my hands when I talk, I'm kind of like a muppet that way (and the roads were safe however, as I was not driving)

On our little trip, I was wearing a pair of long shorts. I only own one pair of long shorts, as I don't usually go out in public in shorts (I like Capris... cause' I'm not too hep on the way my legs look right now and I'm Irish, so I don't tan) but, it's so danged hot and as we were planning on creeking it, I decided to wear the shorts. I also decided that one pair of shorts would certainly not do with all the outdoors I have been enjoying of late...so, after a quick lunch, and cartoon viewing, we headed up to Manzanita Outdoors to browse about. I looked at all the shorts, and was taken back by the prices. You see, I'm terribly spoiled because I usually get all my clothes used, and suffer from sticker shock...I did buy a new lovely pink Nalgene bottle...and was inspired instead, to make my own shorts.

When I got home that afternoon, I dug through my stash of vintage fabric, and picked quite a few nice pieces for myself, thinking I would whip up about 2 pairs of shorts by the end of the weekend for myself. As I was washing the fabric, I thought back about a pair of Prana Capris I was coveting at the outfitters and thought,

"hey, I think I'll whip up a pair of Capris out of this great vintage fabric!"
(that I rescued from the back of a ruined quilt)

And then I started thinking about fun cuffs. I ran and got a pair of Capris out of my armoire to use as a pattern and began cutting...and dreaming about these cuffs...Needless to say, I finished up the Capris late on Sunday evening. Yes...it took me longer to make the cuffs than it did to cut out the Capris and sew them up. The cuffs took planning...

a lot of planning...
and pinning...
and ironing...
and bias tape even...

And you know I'm serious about a sewing project if I pull out both the pins and the iron. Plus, I sat for quite a while in various places and situations throughout the weekend and mentally put the Capris together in my head a million times...it's part of my process, all the thinking and planning and putting projects together in my head before I attempt it. And, I don't just do it with the sewing projects either. I have to say that I like the way they turned out...not necessarily always straight lines on the cuffs, and I'm not quite sold on the idea that it was worth all the extra effort, but they fit well, and have great detail, plus I can either wear the cuffs so they lie straight or tighten them so they make a ruffle and look like knickers (just kidding, I would never do that to myself) and the weight of the extra fabric makes the bottoms of the Capris hang quite nicely (now I've got to locate some elastic so they don't fall off all day...with all the extra cuff love, I didn't even want to attempt a fitted waistline, cause we all know how challenging for me that is)

I did not get to the original 2 pairs of long shorts I started out making...
damn.

Now, Sunday started out in a lazy lie around sort of way...and quickly escalated into running about catching up on errands, and making things...Dina hosted a little girlie get together at her new house which had me making my famous guacamole with chips and veggies to dip, a bottle of wine (ok, I didn't make that) and some blueberry applesauce spice donuts with chocolate icing.

I used the same recipe as the other day.
The exact same one.

I could not for the life of me, get the stupid donuts out of the pan...without them falling apart. So, I was reduced to leaving them in the pan and icing them.

Stupid donuts.

I'm blaming it on the barometric pressure.
(and yes, that's a large toothpick/palm tree with a monkey climbing on it that I used to try to dig these things out of the pan...don't ask me where my "normal" toothpicks are)

We did pedicures and manicures, hair trimming and eyebrow plucking. And, poor Niko...always walks around watching us warily while we do this various primping and saying, "does it hurt?!" It's hard to explain:

no, well...a little sometimes, but it's relaxing...really.
And, doesn't one have to suffer to be this beautiful?

Dina is the master plucker and the only one who gets to touch my eyebrows, and she out-did herself this time. She likens my "new eyebrows" to a 1940's pinup girl (getting closer to doing those photos aren't I?) Although, she was worried that I would think that I looked too surprised, as we don't usually go that thin, and they are more arched now.

I like them...
they're perfect for my new capris.

Cause' you know you gotta' match your eyebrows to you clothes...

5 comments:

Tonya said...

Is it weird that the 2nd thing I do in the morning (coffee is #1)is check your blog?Is is weird that I check all weekend hoping that you snuck a blog in?I love your capris and it sucks that I missed the fun with you and Dina. I'm still pretty loopy on the pain killers and I'm just waiting for the denist to open. If they can't fit me in I'll just start crying loudly in phone and threaten to pull a Tom Hanks-does anyone have an ice skate so I can just knock the tooth out myself.Um yes I'm rambling....I blame the Vicodin. I'm happy that you had a good weekend.Talk to you later.
Tonya

Anonymous said...

Love the capris! They were worth the effort and the planned shorts.

Anonymous said...

Oh Sadira! I love that you are matching your eyebrows to your capris!!! I get you and the planning. I do that too. Usually when I can't sleep and I'm laying in bed. Or when I should be paying attention to something else. Hee hee.

nuttnbunny said...

I aspire to such eyebrow coordination :-)

Mightily appreciative of those capris...

Anonymous said...

the capris are terrific! :D

I need to "whip" up some track pants to walk in... but, I don't see that happening soon.

We need a close up on those brows :D

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin