03 July 2007

Doh...

...Nut

What do you do, on a Sunday, say mid-morning, on a day when the temperature of the day will reach the high of 100?

I, personally...fire up the oven to a comfy 350, and start baking!

Last week, I found a little donut pan at the thrift for a hefty $1 and about flipped. I have never seen a donut pan (like a muffin pan only with donut shaped things...obviously) as traditionally donuts are not baked, but fried.

I actually haven't had a donut in years. The last time I tried to eat one it was a Krispy Kreme, and it gave me an instant headache (I attribute it to the wheat, but I'm thinking it was the combination of all donut ingredients and the fact that it tasted like chemicals) Plus, we have no donut shop in Prescott...

not a one.

We used to have the greatest one that stood next to a once empty field (now the new Fry's) that was bulldozed to make way for Smith's (both groceries) and they had the greatest mini-donuts on a stick thing...I think what made them so great was that they were 6 glazed ones with the top 3 dipped in chocolate icing...plus, they were cake donuts.

I love cake donuts.

I think the other ones are pure crap. But, I suppose it's a matter of opinion really.

After the first donut store was ground into the earth, someone tried to open a Dunkin' Donuts. All I remember about them is that the one and only time I had a donut there, I bit into it and it was so greasy that all the chocolate icing cracked and fell off. Perhaps that's why it didn't succeed, cause' you'd think in a town of mostly retired people, you could make a go of a donut shop.

Maybe I should open one.
Oh...it could be all cute and vintagey...
with one of those HUGE 3-D metal donut signs in the parking lot?
(sure, in my spare time)

Anyway, after acquiring the donut pan, I fantasized about what kind of donuts I would be making, and settled on using the Applesauce Spice Cake recipe from Joy of Cooking, the one I used for Dina's bar-b-q...And I have been getting rave reviews...I certainly liked them, but it's always nice to hear back from my subjects...I mean, the recipients of said food gifts. I also brought a couple to the shop in anticipation of a friend who said she would be visiting today, and surprised her (cause she no longer eats dairy, wheat, gluten...and there was no egg or refined sugar in them as well, so all the allergy bases were covered)

Sometimes when you have a lot of food allergies, or choose not to eat certain things you feel weird. Perhaps it's the way people's mouths drop open when you mention it? So, I enjoy experimenting with different recipes and ingredients to make things that make me feel like I have a "normal" life (and yes, occasionally I do eat things I'm allergic to...I know this surprises you) For now however...I can have a donut every once in a while...




And here's one for you...
With Red and Blue sprinkles (in honor of the 4th)
You can come and pick it up at my house...
it's the one with the HUGE 3-D metal donut sign in the yard...

5 comments:

Tonya said...

I'll be the first to say that your donuts are amazing. Thank you for sharing with me. They taste as great or better than they look. No one would know that they're wheat free. Yummy.

sulu-design said...

Oh, yeah! I'm feeling the donut thing! I love the idea of a vintage-y donut shop. A little counter with short stools and endless cups of coffee... I'm there.

Carol Dunton said...

LOL!! One question! Does your 3-D metal donut sign block the view of that precious candlelior? (forget that spelling!) I eat it all (wheat, dairy, blah, blah) and your donuts look SO YUMMY!! I have never made anything like that and yet, you make it seem like a very do-able recipe! I am definetly intrigued! This little donut shop ... will it have formica? and metal trim? and vinyl-covered seats? and soda straw containers? and pink paper boxes to hold my dozen of buttermilk donuts in? and will the 3-D sign slowly spin around? and will you have little donut holes to sample? and will there be pumpkin donuts in the fall? and...oh my... I'm carried away with this idea! : )
VB

Anonymous said...

Prescott needs donuts! :D

These look yummy... care to share the recipe?? :D

Anonymous said...

I'll be over in five to pick up mine!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin