15 September 2009

Camping and Brewing...


Coffee is an important part of my morning ritual.

Without it, I would kill myself and everyone around me.

Ok...

Not so much since I switched to half decaf half regular (I'm also not as "helpful" and "planny" as I once was...which is either age or caffeine...I'm not sure) and having a hot cuppa in my hand while starting out my day camping is just as fun as it is when I am at home...only it's a little harder without electricity and whatnot.

I think I have it perfected now though.

On the trip to Zion earlier this year, I brought my Bodum coffee press (some people rolled their eyes, but not so much when I set a piping hot cuppa down before them in record time upon waking up...) but the coffee press is glass, so I felt a little nervous about that fact, because I was worried about it breaking. I think I solved this problem though. While visiting Manzanita Outdoor here in town, I ran across a coffee mug with a built in press! I love how mostly compact the whole system is (and would be if I had a smaller container to boil water in...Rich does, so no worries there as he's generous with his camping things)

Upon waking in the morning, I boiled water with in my granite ware coffee pot (and I have all the matching dishes for camping as well) on my little Bluet stove (that I think I inherited from my X's grandmother...the fuel ran out this time, so I need to figure out an alternate plan for next time) and then poured it into the mug over the pre-measured coffee grounds (I had put the right amount into little Ziploc bags while packing food for the trip) then, put the lit with the press on...wait approximately 4 minutes, then press slowly...

Heaven.

And the great thing is, the mug comes with the press lid and a regular lid (I guess in case you're near already made hot drinks or tea) and the press lid has 2 holes in the top...one to drink out of, and one to give extra ventilation...which is also big enough to pour cream and sugar into if you need such things with your coffee.

I happen to always bring Silk Soy Cream with me when I have coffee...as that's what I also use at home, and it's just a little closer to real cream.

This way everyone stays happy and alive while camping...


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I travel with a bodum, too! Just in case... I call it crime abatement if we don't have electricity in our trailer...

Rhonda Roo said...

Yessssss. We could go camping together and get along just fine.

We should start a press club. Hahahohohhoee!!
XOXOXOXO Rhonda Roo

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin