24 November 2008

Project...

It's Monday and I am working today...my gal is off in Disneyland having a grand ole' time. I would assume anyway...seeing as it's the worlds happiest place...or something like that, right? I was wondering how I was possibly going to make it through until my next 2 days off...and then I realized that I have Thursday off this week.

Because it's Thanksgiving.

Yes...I realized last week that the holidays are fast approaching. I also noticed that some people around town have their trees up in their homes...and a lot of the stores have their decorations up as well. I am wondering if it's the flailing economy that is pushing people into the holidays even earlier, or are people feeling like me, "this was an ultimately butt-kicking fall...maybe there's something else out there that I could possibly look forward to?" Then again, perhaps living in Arizona's Christmas City does that to a community...makes it hang the decorations early.

There are a lot of decorations and celebrations around here this time of year...it takes a slew of time to set it all up if you're an official sort of place (and even longer to dismantle it)

I decided las
t week when I realized that it's time for the holidays yet again...that I usually run around like a maniac trying to squeeze everything in, and not taking a minute to breathe or enjoy myself. I remembered this from years past and I decided that rather than rush through this season, that I want to take time this year to find the magic again. This of course comes on the heels of interesting self-discovery, so maybe it's high time? I was sitting here thinking to myself that I always feel so overstressed this time of year, and it's almost like I've forgotten how to find the magic because things tend to get crammed in to every second. I know this may not be the perfect time of year to be assigning myself something else since I just documented the fact that things tend to get wack-a-do...but I am committing myself to something different. I am tired of the holidays becoming a whirlwind of activity, confusion and frustration...I want to rediscover the magic of this time of year aside from some of the craziness that accompanies it...

I am committing myself to being Present.

Present to the moments of the season.
Present to the holidays themselves.
Present to myself.
Present to my past.
Present to the magic...

I offer you: Holiday Presence.

Between now and The New Year, I will be documenting something every day that is helping me stay Present and rediscover the magic of the season for me. Perhaps I will include a story, or perhaps it will be pictures...You'll have to tune in and see...

If you want to join me, please do...let me know though so we can journey with you as well...

7 comments:

TomboCheck said...

Look forward to it. :)

Anonymous said...

Me too! I'm looking forward to this...

I'm probably going to put the holidays by the wayside this year. Too much "life" to deal with.

Can live the holiday moments vicariously through you?

~Molly~ said...

Oooh, me too me too!! I've not yet stepped onto the roller coaster so it will be easier this year maybe? So many things left to do, including painting trim in our bedroom and a whole dining room and kitchen!! I'm really trying to discern what is the most important, but not just to me.

I'll play along with you if you'd like!

Molly

Carol Dunton said...

I love your vision! I am so sick and tired of being told by Madison Avenue to buy this, buy that...have this...you GOTTA have that!! The pure essence of the season is lost and the holiday becomes more about cash than Christ. I love your commitment and I look forward to sharing it with you. xoxo
VB

Suzanne said...

I like this Sadira, as I am in the place of trying to be present in everything I do, so I am not so scattered and making mistakes left and right. I also want to enjoy every moment of my little one's life. I think being present helps to calm one's soul and keep things in perspective too. I'll be checking in to see how you're doing!

sulu-design said...

Oh, good for you, I say! I started my handmade holiday gifts super early this year so that they'd be out of the way and I could focus on the spirit of the season for the month of December. I think this is a wonderful project - looking forward to your posts.

Chickenbells said...

Thank you so much everyone for your support. I am finding myself more and more exhausted this time of year...it's time for me to find my magic again. I can't wait to see how this project will impact my life!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin