08 September 2008

Weekend Mix-up...


How was your weekend?

My weekend was
a busy one...and weirdly enough for the amount of time I did not spend settled in one place, I crammed a lot into it, and was productive as well. Weekends like this usually make me feel like I need to rest, but I hid out for my 3 day weekend last weekend, and I felt like that then as well...there's something missing, and I can't quite put my finger on it exactly...I think it starts with a restful sleep and I'm not quite sure where it ends...

Perhaps with wine and cupcakes with Ms. Dina tonight on the patio at Foolsewoode...

I spent a fun day yesterday in Flagstaff, after collecting my mother and Rozz early in the morning...we went to Macy's Coffee House (no surprise there, we've been going to Macy's since I went to college at NAU they are one of my very favorite coffee houses) walked around the downtown, visited the new HUGE New Frontiers health food store for lunch (they have an amazing deli section, with sushi chefs...I am very very jealous as it now makes our health food store look like a cheap dirty thrift shop) and we ended up at Bookmans with loads of books to swap. I came away with less books and the first season of Get Smart on DVD. My mother and I watched Get Smart a lot when I was little, and I just loved it...so, after we came home, I spent most of the rest of the evening treating myself to episodes and giggling. It's just as good as I remembered it being.

On Saturday afternoon and evening (I seem to be doing the weekend in reverse) I hopped into the car and took myself to Jerome via Clarkdale. Megan was having a gallery opening Trials and Trails, in Jerome...and since I was attending by myself (Rich tried to get the day off...long story) I thought I would treat myself to some dinner at SuCasa, my all time favorite Mexican food restaurant.

I spent the first half of the trip going up Mingus Mountain behind a woman on a motorcycle who looked to be learning how to ride said motorcycle. Mingus is a crazy hill both up and down because of the elevation change...it is also very curvy with narrow lanes. I do not suggest learning how to ride your motorcycle driving on Mingus...especially when you're breaking while going up hills...

I also don't suggest putting lewd bumper stickers of Calivn and Hobbs wing-dang-doodles on the window of your huge truck and then go 10 mph or less through Jerome pointing out places of interest, with no regard to the people that must now come to a screeching halt to avoid hitting the huge line of cars that are piling up because you're leading some sort of independent tour...and obviously more important than anyone else on the road including the posted lawful speed limit (that is often how people with large trucks drive here...not everyone obviously, but more than a few)

It was like drivers training out there this weekend...

Luckily, I had a wonderful new CD in the car and I wasn't in a hurry...otherwise I may have gone completely mad.

After a lovely quick dinner, I moseyd back up the hill to the gallery. All of Jerome was having an art walk on Saturday night, and it was a lovely evening to stroll. I found myself in and out of several of the shops before going to Megan's opening.

May I say wow at this point?

Megan and I have been friends for quite a while, and I know that she is very talented and creative...but the chance to see all of her prints and jewelry and art all hung together in one space is just wonderful! It was colorful and beautiful and amazing...

It's also very inspiring.

The acoustic guitar music was lovely...Megan's father Larry played as well as another of Megan's friends...the food spread was wonderful too (and that is punch in my hand, not wine...I was my own designated driver, and we've already talked about the dangers of the road into and out of town) and of course, I got to spend a lot of time chatting with old friends that had made their way to Jerome for the opening...

Amazing work Megan...I wish I could have taken every piece home...

Especially because Megan's titles for her pieces made me laugh out loud...

Unfortunately, I don't have enough wall space...

I browsed and ohhed and ahhed and coveted so many pieces...and I almost walked away empty handed (yeah right) but something just caught my eye and had to come home with me...


It's my rainbow cowboy...

Block print on wood...

Flourescent pink and blue and green.

I'm not usually
a huge lover of "serious" Western art...I love Western art in bold vivid colors, mostly because living in the West is a bold and colorful adventure that you don't usually experience unless you live here. I also like Western art with something that reminds me of how it may have been here in the West years ago...

When it was full of fluorescent pink cowboys.

And Neon...

I didn't stay at the gallery late into the night as I had a date at the Airstream...but, as I walked into the early twilight, I couldn't help but pause to take some pictures...the sunset and the early evening light with Sedona in the background. The ride home was amazing...all alone on the curves, good music playing and the window rolled down to catch the cool night air...just perfect.

8 comments:

TomboCheck said...

Good to see you at the gallery!
Armin Van Buuren rocks!
Congrats on neon cowboy. totally sweet.

Anonymous said...

thank you so much for your attendance at the show- sounds like a perfect solo nite out to me!! xoxox megan

Chickenbells said...

Tombo - Good to see your group as well...honestly, I wish we could have caught up to each other for dinner! Oh well...next time!

Megan - You are most welcome! I had a wonderful evening out with myself, even with the crazy drivers...and I am searching for the perfect place for my new art right now. I may need some help though...

Carol Dunton said...

B
U
T
Ful!!!
In all ways! Fun, fun weekend and love the photos, girlfriend! : ))
xoxo
VB

Suzanne said...

Did I ever tell you I think I had an art class at Yavapai with Megan in the summer or fall of '92? You'll have to ask her if she took an art class then. I think it was watercolor...with an awesome male teacher, and she sat to my left. She was a homeschooler, and only about 16 then? Could that be?

Chickenbells said...

Velvet Brick - It was a good weekend indeed! I'm glad that I remembered to take pictures (sometimes I forget to break the camera out...)

Suzanne - I will ask her...I know she wasn't homeschooled...she had awesome teacher parents though, so that must count for something!!

mansuetude said...

i wanted one of those cupcakes... yes indeed. But you are lucky, too. I love the colors on that print. I can see why it had to come home with you.

Say ehllo to the arizona sky. :)

Felicia said...

Why is it that when we have 3 days off in a row we feel the need to cram 5 days worth of stuff into it?! :) I do it every time. Looks like yours was awesome. Megan's work it beautiful.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin