10 September 2008

Corduroy Fall...


In addition to running all around the state this weekend, I made my skirt...

"s"

Yes, you read that right.

Skirts. Plural.

I blame the fabric store. I went in to get a specific soft fine whaled corduroy I had spied a few weeks ago in a delightfully colorful design, and walked out with 2 designs...both totally different than the one I originally went in for, which is still sitting there.

Mocking me.

LeSigh.

I was inspired instead by these two patterns...who can tell what lurks in the mind of the creative? Certainly not me...as I was standing there having a fabric meltdown (due to the 2 light sweaters I was trying to remember the exact shade of that were, at the time, lying in the armoire at home...and which one of this slew of corduroy would best match them?!?! Gawds I'm getting old if I can't remember a simple shade of green and lavender...and all sorts of other horrible expletives directed at my feeble mind...although we can be happy that I remembered to get contrasting thread to sew with, so there is that...even though I think I had the same color sitting with my other thread...but nevermind, and I needed to use my 40% off coupon on something) Plus? The fabric with the black background looks Oriental and has gold running all through it...the purple? It was just yummy and reminded me of fabric my mother used to use when making clothes for me for back to school fall...

ME = not in school for a long time, but still feeling slighted by not getting new clothes (of course, I don't grow out of my clothes nearly as fast as I once did...well, unless you count not being as slim from season to season...ahem)

I whipped both of these skirts out on Saturday morning during some movie that was on TV...I have no idea what the movie was, but since I can't remember simple shades of colors this should not surprise you. I thought that with the fall in full swing, I would love to debut a skirt at Megan's art opening.

Unfortunately,
Saturday chose to be extremely record breakingly hot...so it was me in corduroy with sandals and a tank top...I'm nothing if not versitile (and sweaty)

I made the black skirt first from the Built By Wendy skirt pattern that came with Sew U...I don't actually like that pattern as it is, but I modified it and thought I nailed it. Turns out that isn't the case here. I don't hate the skirt, but I wanted it to be a pencil skirt...

Not too much with the pencil thing. I am considering redoing it...but it's making my head swim to think of it now (seeing as I cut a lot of the sides off after sewing it several different times on Saturday already)

For the purple skirt, I drug out an actual pencil skirt from my skirts (which I didn't even know I possessed, again with the memory thing...no surprises here, eh?) turned it inside out and used that as a pattern instead.

It fits like a dream, like it was made for me (whatdayaknow? it was! I probably should have made a pattern from that skirt before I sewed it all up...but who knew?) Honestly, it is the best fitting skirt I've ever made (which really makes me glare at the black skirt more now) Of course, if I gain or loose weight we may be in for it, but on Saturday morning? The fit was perfect...

This is why I take pictures of the things I make...for posterity.

Well...that and so I can prove I do more than just lie around draped on my furniture providing a lap for the cat...

The two P's...Posterity and Proof.

8 comments:

flutter said...

Soooooooo cute. fabric is evil and I LOVE IT

Anonymous said...

I like the black fabric... so autumny!

thatgirldina said...

Well, call me crazy, and although I do like both...I actually think the black one is cutest. But, what do I know....I'm wearing mis-matched socks today. Accidentally on purpose. Well, I forgot to swap the laundry into the fryer this morning, and well, that leads to soapy socks, which is simply no fun at all. Forgetfullness...it runs in the "family".
xox,
-deenie

thatgirldina said...

fryer...dryer...whatever.

~Molly~ said...

Those are JUST AWESOME!!! Both of them fit you wonderfully too(and you look amazing btw). I am loving that black background with the brown flowers.

Molly

ps, got the rescue remedy this morning and it works!

Anonymous said...

The skirts are cute. Good Job!

I'm glad I'm not the only adult feeling slighted by not getting a new wardrobe every fall!

Chickenbells said...

Flutter - It IS evil...

Lois - Isn't it so fun? The gold running through it doesn't show up so well...but, it makes it extra Autumny!

Dina - Fried socks, eh? One would think that would get all the soap out...

She Sure is Strange - They are both great patterns aren't they? Lucky me...and thank you...I think I look ok I suppose, although I realized that all of my chins showed up for the photos (LeSigh) Rescue Remedy is amazing...There are points in my life in which I wish that I could have a Rescue Remedy drip...it would make things so much easier!

Mommiemarzie - I am loving the skirts, and it's starting to saunter towards the cooler temperatures. I suppose that's why it's so fun to shop resale and make your own clothes, at least you can get a few "new" things here and there!

Felicia said...

They look great and glad you fitted one of them so well!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin