17 September 2008

In Dorothy's Skivvies...

I know that you are dying to know what I wear under all of my skirts.

Well...nothing but the obvious.

And by that I mean, I don't wear slips (don't ask me how you were supposed to infer my refusal to wear slips from all of these 3 sentences, I apologize, I am under the distinct delusion that people can read my mind...) I have a theory (someday we're going to have to list those) that I don't wear slips. I feel about slips like I feel about pantyhose...Both are uncomfortable and bunchy, and it's hot in Arizona, usually...and I can't afford to have one extra layer of anything on, no matter how sheer the garment...so, I usually say, "if you haven't seen it yet...you might just see it on me."

In fact
, the only time I actually wear slips is as regular clothing. Like slips for dresses or half slips for skirts. Not just your average run of the mill slips mind you, the vintage ones are cuter and usually less see through and more like an actual garment then the stuff they sell nowadays...

(I have a confusing set of rules...it's no wonder I don't cry more often)

Nowadays = oldendays

As in: "We used to walk up hills both ways in the snow to get home from school in the oldendays..."

So. In the oldendays I think we can all agree that things were made of sterner stuff, better quality and with a sense of humor to boot. I have seen some pretty fabulous vintage undergarments in my time...things that would give Jean Paul Gaultier a run for his money. The only unfortunate thing is that usually the ones that have survived all this time are often so small they only fit my sister...which means they're boxed up and sent away.

We're some crazy vintage undergarment wearing girls in my clan.

Only except I am now in possession of the most wonderful half slip of all.

It combines my love of all things monogrammed and all things vintage undies and all things that fit me, and wraps it all up in a neat package...

May I present to you:


Dorothy's half slip...
(as evidenced by her name embroidered in that wreath of flowers)

A new skirt for the fall

One that just happens to answer the question:

What Does Dorothy Wear Under Her Clothes?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

OOH, what a treasure!

I'm not a slip-wearer, either... hate hose, too!

I can remember once wearing uber-control top hose (Givenchy body smoothers..remember those?) over a control top panty and have the hose "snap and roll" right down to my ankles.

I was working retail and was waiting on a CEO of a national restaurant chain at that time. I had to excuse myself mid-sale to compose myself...

The things we did for beauty...LOL

:-D)

TomboCheck said...

Ummm... what's a slip? Sooooo glad I'm a guy. We don't have to worry about any of this. We just have to decide between boxers and briefs.

flutter said...

SO beautiful

Anonymous said...

There's actually a decision between boxers and briefs Tombo? Really?

Hmmmm.....no decision here at the Airstream!

Felicia said...

Certainly pantyhose were designed to torture women?

Chickenbells said...

Lois- Hahaha...what a funny story! I hope you still got the sale. I know what you mean by beauty...it's a huge responsibility, but somebodies got to do it...

TomBo - Slips are those undergarments we wear so that men don't see our ankles and propose marriage on the spot...

Flutter - Thank you...I can't wait to wear it, without a slip...

Rich - Oh my...sometimes those are the best decisions of all not to have to make, eh?

Felicia - They must have been...I'm happy to say I haven't worn hose in a long long time...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin