01 June 2007

Once In a Blue Moon...

Last night I received an invitation...

To view both the sun set and then the moon rise from the tippy-top of a large pile of rocks in the Dells.

Being the gal that I am...and up for what sounded like an adventure, and a bit of a romantic one at that, seeing as the second full moon in a month (known, of course, as a blue moon) doesn't happen often...And, the opportunity to see this phenomena from the top of the Dells has never happened to me...I jumped at the opportunity.


As of a couple of years ago, I was not that active. Which meant no walking about, hiking or jumping up on large piles of boulders of any sorts. You see, as a child I was led to believe that I was not good at any of these things, and was totally clumsy...so, I decided at some point to be quite afraid to do anything like this at all.

Mostly too, because I was afraid I would slip and fall.

And you know what?


This is the second time this week I've been out here hopping around. And, I haven't slipped once (OK...no jinxing myself for the next time either) so, I'm starting to feel more comfortable.

Plus...I am getting the chance to experience the place I've lived for the last 27 years in such a fresh new way, since I've been invited to do these things by someone who's just moved here, and is totally enthusiastic about the whole place...



...And since the lighting is in the entirely wrong spot here, there are no details of the catalyst for all of this...sorry about that.

So, we watched the glorious sunset both documenting it with our cameras every few minutes, and I was made to laugh uproariously by Rich with the idea that the moonrise was certainly a bit later than predicted, an idea to which we both agreed quite seriously and soberly (laced with giggles and guffaws) was so much more important than that pesky global warming thing we've been hearing so much about.

Rich had his tripod set up so he could get all the perfect shots...and it has been suggested, that my camera sucks. I heartily agree...Luckily he's also suggested the camera I should be saving up for (so that is finally in the works)

If you would like to see some amazing moon shots...you'll have to pop over to his site, cause mine were too blurry...It was windy up there and a little chilly and my camera bites (OK, that's three excuses) But, it was an amazing fun adventure, the kind that takes you out to the end of a pile of rocks so that you can hug yourself as a reminder that you are still alive and lucky to be witnessing something so amazing and soak in all the beauty that is.

And, you know what?
When we descended from this pile of rocks in the near dark, me carrying a small tripod in my hand...

I didn't slip one bit.

4 comments:

laura capello said...

oooooo... pretty...

Bobbypin Bandit said...

What a gorgeous sight! I saw that moon, it was very bright and blue. Very lovely. I am glad you din't slip. I am always afraid of that, too!

Carol Dunton said...

L - O - V - E the moon shots!

Ms. S... I think you've had enough slips and falls in this life....

I'm predicting solid footing from here on out..

: )

VB

sulu-design said...

How fun to find such new life in a place you've been living in for so long. Good for you for rediscovering it. What joy I sense in your words!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin