26 June 2007

So? It's a Dry Heat...


Which probably doesn't make a bit of difference if you're wearing a fur coat...cause' every time I bring it up, as I watch my furry baby drape herself across various pieces of furniture...she gazes at me with those eyes.

Do you think she's asking me to shave her?

Or making a round about request to move somewhere cooler?
Cause's she's like that you know...
I mean, at the least, she could get a job so we could install an air conditioner, or even clean up a bit around the house...

You know, when she gets extra hot...she insists that she roll around in the dirt and dust before she comes in...she makes a point of it in fact. When I call her, she immediately runs to the dustiest dirtiest patch of lawn (hey what do you expect? We're in a drought and no matter how much I water, it's still a bit sparse!) and throws herself down on her back and writhes around miaowing...it's a little much. I know she thinks it's ultra sultry, but I stand there hand on hip, foot tapping, eyes rolling and yelling, "get in the house you...you...horrible little sex kitten!" Wherein she jumps up, and runs in, dodging my hands trying to knock some of the dust off of her and generally makes the house more dusty, and leafy and stickish, and hairy (she's shedding like mad) Plus, I think she's secretly a hippie.

But, I love her. She's the last of a long line of kitties...the ultra pampered princess around here. Every once in a while I look at her and ask her if she wants a little friend, and she looks back, looks away in disgust, and then squinches her eyes at me (I think it may be much like my reaction was to my mother when she told me she was pregnant with my sister)

So, I've watched this little gem trying to get comfortable around here for a few days now, as it continues to heat up...actually laying in front of open windows and throwing herself on the concrete outside...and resorting to lounging around in the basement (where it is certainly cooler...smart girlie) Or, maybe she was trying to remind me that I had a new portable swamp cooler down there...come to think of it, there has been a lot of tapping on the shoulder and pointing going on...

No matter, I finally remembered, and hauled this little beauty up this weekend...filled it up, and let-her-rip. It works beautifully (I got it from a yard sale this winter for a mere $20, and hoped the people were telling the truth that "it works good"...and it certainly does. The other one I had for years promptly broke last year after I replaced the pad in it, and I have been without a cooler for a while...plus, this one is so much smaller, which is good because I have no water pitcher to fill it up with, and I am reduced to running back and forth in between the bathroom and living room filling it up with an extra stainless steel bowl I have laying around from the Kitchen Aid...sigh) It's worth it though...

Because, if that isn't a look of kitty ecstasy reclining in front of the new cooler, I don't know what is.

Of course, she immediately demanded that I dress up in a toga and feed her peeled grapes
(and silly me, I didn't even know she liked them)

6 comments:

Rusty said...

She's so cute. My favorite kitty in the whole world was a tortoise shell cat. Aw...pamper that princess.

Anonymous said...

I missed the festival?? WAH!

Your kitty is such a Cleopatra. I have a fab Toga you can borrow! hehehe. I love that the cooler works, I should get one!!! xxo

Carol Dunton said...

ahh...
it's a cat's life...

my vacumn can't keep up with the 4 cats and a dog shedding like mad...
makes me want to buy some clippers and shaaaaaaaaave!

laura capello said...

ah, so looks so much happier now...

Anonymous said...

Oh, one of my fondest memories from childhood is sitting under a swamp cooler in our hallway, bundled up in a big blanket. :D Heh.

Kitty looks happier. Viva le swamp cooler!

Bobbypin Bandit said...

At least your cat doesn't wear patchouli oil!! The air conditioner doesn't work in my office and it was 106 today. Ahhhhhh! everyday all I want is a lemon meringue martini!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin