22 April 2007

Happy Earth Day...


I started my weekend off by relaxing totally...which may be a fancy way to say, I was not invited to any raging parties on Friday night (Ok, lets be honest, that's the first time I've used the word raging not connected to a headache since I was in my 20's) and that's quite OK, because I decided to pamper myself with a pedicure and a long leisurely bath instead...as you can see, Ms. Meena approved. It was quite cold and windy this weekend, just perfect for kitty-snuggle-on-your-lap-time.


And, to bed a smidge bit early and up early again to go to yard sales...where I got this lovely little vintage glass Shilling Onion juice jar. And yes, this was the highlight of my sailing experience on Saturday...I adore it (I know, weird) and I wasn't even aware anyone made onion juice...

I am wondering how handy exactly onion juice would be? Whatever would you use it for?

For now, it's going to be sitting here next to the lovely red kitchen aid...

in all it's little onion splendor!





And, then I spent a large portion of my day at the Prescott Honda car dealership in town...test driving Honda CR-V's. Any of which I could dearly fall in love with. Why do we insist on doing that with our cars? I had a great knowledgeable friend go with me, which helped give me the confidence to persevere and negotiate. In the end though, I was not willing to go higher than the budget that I had set for myself (I am glad!) I know I could have, but I have been saving for a year for this purchase, and I didn't feel comfortable over extending myself quite that much...

besides, I have insurance to think of still, right?

At the end of the negotiation for the Red CR-V (the one with the moon roof?) I knew it wasn't going to happen at the price I was willing to pay. I would have loved to buy that one...I wasn't in love with the color of the interior, as much as the dark blue one I drove, but that one was not recommended by the master mechanic we took it to. I was feeling a little like I needed to jump into the throes of despair, when the salesman suggested I try the Toyota Rav-4 in the lot. It had just been marked down, was well within my price range (ridiculously so) and with the older body style, one that I was interested in driving.

So, I did.
Oh boy.

This thing is sporty, quick...and all time 4 wheel drive. Something Honda and Toyota both share in these models. Which means, I am now driving a car that is smarter than me, and knows how it should be driving whatever the weather is.

Look what I took home at the end of the day on Saturday:

A 2002 Toyota Rav-4

Vintage Gold with the factory gold package (which means the trim and symbols are gold), a roof rack, and are those new tires I see? why yes, they are...the inside color is Oak and is immaculate...one can even remove the back seats entirely...which are fully adjustable for each passenger (and can be totally layed down or removed)...a CD and tape player (damn, I think I just threw away all my tapes, but don't worry as this car has several extra power outlets throughout it so I can indeed plug in the sweetie tiny Ipod) and Toyota makes the most adorable cup holders (yet another reason to buy a car) this car comes with quite a bit of little storage places. The engine in this thing is super clean, and when my mechanic pulled out the dipstick, one could hardly see the oil on it...it has been well maintained, and a one owner to boot. The inside lights and dials are orange at night, which I think is super spiffy (another reason to buy a car) It does not have a moon or sun roof (which I was disappointed because all I've ever wanted was a sunroof with wheels, but for an extra $6 grand, I didn't think it was all that important really) or an alarm system, but I know I can save up and get an alarm installed at some point (or at least a remote start with keyless entry thing which is really not that much) It also has a lot less miles than I wanted on a used car as well, and the car I've been envisioning myself in since I started saving a year ago...
I think it was really meant to be...

Honda gave me a great price for my trade in, And...I checked the Toyota out at Edmunds.com, and got a smokin' deal when all was said and done! It was so close to what I expected to pay, I will not be making any payments what so ever...not even when I pay for that nasty insurance. This is the first car I ever bought from a dealer, and I am so happy (plus, I got a tiny boquet of flowers...daisies, my favorite, and a gift certificate to Murphys!) I keep glancing over my shoulder at it, sitting there, all shiny and new in the driveway. In addition to all the manuals, I got about 15 extra keys, why they had so many I'll never know, but I'm thinking maybe I'll give them out for Christmas next year...or put one in each purse I own so I will never be locked out...I'd better not be at any rate.

I am so proud of myself , and was sitting in the dealership realizing that getting rid of the Trooper is the last tie to my Ex (as this was his grandmother's car) I opted to get new license plates even...and start brand new on this beauty. So, I'm thinking that I'll be spending most of my Sunday reading manuals for the new car...testing out keys, and figuring out exactly what sticker to put on her (and of course, what to name her) I do have a little Celtic static cling (like colorforms? I actually sell these at Snap-Snap ) picked out already.


Doves - among many mythologies the dove appears as feminine symbol of soul, wisdom, re-birth and harmony. In the ancient world the concept of harmony was close to healing. Like ravens, doves were perceived as oracular birds...and the attribute of Venus, goddess of love (paraphrased from the back of the packaging) And there are the words Peace on Earth written in 7 languages around the edge of the sticker...
Doves hold a special meaning for me, as they hang around the house in flocks...and anytime that I am going through particular rough patches, not only do they sing me awake, but follow me around throughout my life...truly amazing (I noticed it during the last really hard part of my marriage, and it continues to this day)

So, this is perfect, No?

6 comments:

Tonya said...

I love love love your new car. I bet you look great in it. And how wonderful to have that last tie to you know who completly cut. I'm so amazed at how good you are with money. Enjoy that wonderful car I hope I can see it soon.
Tonya

Liz said...

Congratulations on the new addition to the family! Cars are so reflective of our personalities, aren't they? I love my mom-mobile, except at the gas pump. When do I get to go for a spin?

Anonymous said...

Oh, perfect! And good for you for saving and buying what you could. The Universe rewarded nicely, I think!

And yes, yes, yes, to the dove window cling. :D

Blessings. And Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Way to go! Aren't new cars the best? And how smart are you to go payment free! I hope you have lots of fun and enjoyment with your hot new car!

Carol Dunton said...

oh baby!
this is simply choice! congrats on the evolution out of the past and into the new! I love it all and oh, yes....I bet you are simply stunning in it! :)
VB

sulu-design said...

Congratulations (if you were here you'd note just a twinge of jealousy in my voice as I say that)!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin