01 March 2006

Knit and Yikes!

Well, Cody, my mother and I had our first session of stitch and bitch...although, I'm not sure we can use that name per se, as the woman who wrote the book of that name may or may not be in some heated copyright law suit about the use of those three words in that particular ordered combination. So...we three got together for an evening of raw food, which was yummy (again) and bitching and knitting. Our curfew on the evening was 8:30pm, so my mother could get her tired homeschooler to bed and then up again in the morning.

After eating, we scoured the house for size 8 needles, which my mom had her heart set on for our first projects. The woman has drawers and drawers of knitting supplies, and only one set of size 8 needles. I got those, Cody chose the 9's. So...we sat down to knit, sort of.

I forget how complicated learning new things can be. I get so frustrated with trying to learn things sometimes, and am amazed when I can't do it right off and I actually make mistakes...which explains why I never picked up the piano (that and it was too heavy). After I kind of got the hang of it, I was cruising along...with Cody and my mom in near hysterics about what his knitting was doing, right next to me...but in my tongue sticking out of my mouth new to this whole knitting thing posturing...and the setting of my teeth in a certain way to ensure success...I had to just listen to them without taking my eyes off my yarn, as I was sure that I wouldn't be able to find my place again...that and Cody, who is addicted to peppermint oil drops had used so many by that time and was laughing so hard, my eyes were watering from sheer exposure to the oil being in the air. (But, my lungs were clear, and by breath was fresh)

I didn't bring my camera, which was good because I only have 2 hands, and they were tangled up in the yarn...but I made the start of a...well, something (although, I tore it out, because in my peppermint induced haze, I was sure I was mensa for knitting...and was informed by my mother I had started to go backwards and was not knitting, but purling...so...I'm ahead on that lesson...and had moved from 20 stitch thingeys on the needle to about 30...yikes) So...now I have a ball of red yarn AGAIN, for practice! Cody made what he called a hair ball...and his yarn kept separating...and was kind of a mess, but I think he was finally getting the hang of it when we stopped for the bitching part of the night.

We didn't really do any bitching, as much as the solving of the worlds problems...and ended the night at 10...oops...and my thanks to my mother for being such a patient teacher, and willing to get in there and laugh with us (like she had a choice!)...and I'm really wondering how people just lay their yarn down during the middle of a project and pick it up again, and are able to just knit away? Or watch TV? Or knit anything that may resemble something you may want to wear or keep?

1 comment:

Rozzilyn said...

hahhhahahhahahahahahhahhaha-that WAS funny-oh, being the teacher, I guess I'm not supposed to make fun of the students, huh?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin