27 March 2006

Third Trip Is The Charm...

Well, this morning, I was off early to take the car in for some minor repairs (whew) and spent 2 hours at the dealership...and boy was it fun! I started knitting a black wool cell phone holder to match my new handbag last night, which I finished up during my wait! I love it...and I found a special vintage red button shaped like a flower in my button box to put on it (actually, I found the button a few weeks ago...and saved it special until I could figure out a project to use it for!) And, it's soooo easy to knit these things...look for me around town with a cell holder to match all my outfits


So...I was really wanting to do some household things around here today, starting with replacing the washers in the bathroom faucets to fix a leak (finally). I misread the directions...and well, screwed off the end of the the thing that sticks out of the wall, the thing that the knobs needs to be screwed into to make the entire shower and faucet to work? Yeah...I screwed that thing right off, and it was just sitting there all exposed, and no longer able to be functional...no way could I screw the knob back on and make it work...I tried, really I did, but all that happened was, the shower was now on full time...and well, I'm a bath type of girl! SO...I called the plumber, who couldn't come out until tomorrow after work...and then again, that is when OH KNIT happens for us...so, I was feeling sad about that as well.




I did what any intelligent person in Prescott would do next...I went to True Value ...because they're really the only people who know anything about plumbing...and they're so helpful. The nice man there told me what to buy to take the bolt off the shower diverter, and I was off...only to find out that the tool was too small...apparently they sell the most common one with an entire $20 set, instead of the $5 one I bought! Plus, this is when I noticed that the tile was not cut quite even around the hardware, and even if I could get the right tool...there was no way I could fit it in there...So, I got out the flat head screwdriver and a hammer! And spent quite a while holding my breath and chipping away at the tile hoping not to crack any tile, because I didn't really feel like re-tiling the shower today as well!




Then, I drove back to the hardware store, got the whole set of wrenches (yes, they were starting to recognize me by this time)...and came back and got the shower diverter off (yippee!!)
Then, turned around and went back to the hardware store and got the new shower diverter, and some washers to fix the original problem!



And you know what??? It totally worked! I fixed it, all by myself! The shower now turns on and off...and the faucet no longer leaks! I'd like to say that was the highlight of the whole experience...that yes indeed I can take care of myself, or that I was certainly glad I took the time to fill the tank of the car on Saturday, or that the plumber offered me a job when I called him back to cancel, or that it was only 3 short trips to the store...and it's really close, and I still finished an hour before they closed...but really, the highlight was the little old man who helped me at the store told me that he wanted to show me a picture of his pride and joy...and whipped out a picture of 2 soap containers an old advertising piece of paper that he'd had laminated and carries in his wallet...the bottles said "Pride" across one, and "Joy" across the other...
I love living in a small town!

2 comments:

Rozzilyn said...

Ohmigod, you got the pride and joy man too? I got him not too long ago-you didn't tell me that part!Congratulations, another hurdle crossed. Now, I have this sink that has been acting up........

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm impressed. Now let me ask. How much do you charge for your great plumbing skills?
Keli

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin