09 March 2006

Vintage Kitchen Towels and such...


Well...finally, the big vintage embroidered kitchen towel blog (and other such stuff)! The above picture is a fine example of what it took for me to get this ready...I had decided that I would soak all my towels in Oxyclean over night...they filled up these two tubs and the washing machine...which was a whopping 2 extra large loads of laundry! (and I won't go into the ironing...but since I have a ironing board that pulls out of the wall...I absolutely love to iron!)

I wasn't kidding, I love these things...So the following pictures are of my absolute favorites...mostly all embroidered, some not vintage, but most are. I also have more in my "collection" and my kitchen that aren't embroidered, but fun vintage florals and other prints! You know the kind...one's you may use for every day...and not just hang around in a impromptu towel display!



I love little happy walking, and dancing fruits, veggies and inatimate kitchen objects. I just imagine that this is what they do when I'm not around (which could explain why the house is sometimes so messy)...I also added some fun crochet potholders!






I love these little girls...they have different material on their gowns and bonnets...and the fun pitcher and regular veggies...the towel with the flower on it is just HUGE! At the top is a bunch of iron on patterns by Aunt Martha...called Hillbillies In Love...I will have to embroider them soon!












Ok...little dressed up animals doing everyday household chores are really great as well, although, I wonder why my kitties aren't doing the laundry when I'm not home! The little chickie on the left hand towel says Domingo across the top...and has a little tag on it that says Reba C Wilson...so thank you for this sweet little towel Reba! And the little doggie one is so very cute, as both the cherries and the trim are red with white polka dots on it! Plus, it's unusual to have any towels in any color other than white!








ITALIA



Oh how I love these towels. I bought them in Italy a couple of years ago in a street market in Florence...I was so surprised to see the days of the week embroidered in Italian on these ( I mean, obviously they would be in Italian...I was just surprised to see these in Italy!) I just had to have them, they were one of the few souvineers I bought myself while I was there!







These towels are all new, and I bought them at Target! I use the little girl ones by my sink, and am looking forward to using the Hawaiian ones this summer! I haven't figured out how to use the monkey one...but I couldn't leave it there, it was just too wonderful!











I don't actually have a full set of the week towels of these little fruits and flowers...and am wondering if they go together...even though the embroidery is so similar. I am also thinking that I may be able to skip the days of the week that I don't have? They are still so cute with the butterflies and leaves!










Drum Roll...



Ok...these are my favorites! The one on the right is one that my mom embroidered for me, which was a hoot, because we were both loving vintage towels one day and decided to embroider some for each other as a surprise gift. We each completed one...hahaha...I still have the iron on's (mine were bees doing household things) and the blank towels, so I may still do more (don't hold your breath).

The other one is a vintage applique towel that I have displayed in my kitchen...I smile every time I walk in there!



This is a cute vintage laundry bag with a sweet woman hanging her stockings with a little bird watching on...And in true vintage style, she's doing it all while in high heels. I need to ask my grandma if this is accurate...She always says how everyone loved her shoes so much then (could this be where I get my insane love of shoes???)



And finally...a little Diego, who was helping press the towels after they were all clean...I guess he loves vintage towels too!








At last count, I have 80 kitchen towels!!

2 comments:

Rozzilyn said...

Wow, you did it! I won't tell anyone that this is about 1/3 of the group! he washing and ironing alone make me tired to think of. No wonder they needed cheerful everyday articles-imagine doing those all on a wash board or wringer washer and hanging them out to dry! Looks good!

Anonymous said...

Great collection Sadie!
Keli

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin