13 September 2007

Prescott's Burning...

A prescribed burn...but a fire nonetheless.

It started
this morning after my morning walk, and by the time I got to work, it was starting to permeate the downtown. You see, the downtown is sitting in a small valley...or The Prescott Corridor. So, anytime there is a fire, the smoke sits right on top of the downtown.

I live downtown.

I also have juniper allergies.

They burn a lot of juniper in these fires.

I have a headache and my nose is stuffy my eyes are burning and I feel sick to my stomach.

I also notice that during these fires, I feel weird, claustrophobic. Probably as weird as all the ants do, only I don't run around and freak out quite so much (I can't, I'm short of breath) I'm thinking it's one of those preservation cellular memories that is lodged in the reptilian part of my brain:

Fire=Bad=Run Away

Frankenstein knew what he was talking about.

On the way home from the Airstream tonight, the smell of smoke was getting a little uncomfortable in the car. Then I drove into the downtown, and there was so much smoke I could barely see to drive. My house smells like I've gone camping.

I may have to go camping to get away from this smoke...

cough...

cough...

sniff...

9 comments:

thatgirldina said...

I know EXACTLY how you are feeling! Our entire house smells like a campfire this morning...it's awful. Whoyohwhyohwhy do they insist on burning 540 acres at a time? Don't they realize what that does to those of us who live within blowing distance of all that smoke and ash. And my car? FILTHY! Covered in soot. ugh.

hack*hack*choke*cough
-deenie

nuttnbunny said...

Oh my! You must flee!!!

Tonya said...

I still have a headache and my eyes are still watering after being in town yesterday. wheeze*wheeze*sniffle
For the first time ever, I was happy to live in P.V.

Anonymous said...

Yuck! The first 10 minutes you can smell a forest fire/prescribed burn it smells nice. Brings back childhood memories of camping and such. But after that. Ugh. Get tired of constantly smelling like you are roughing it. And the smell permeates everything! Hope things get better for you! And juniper allergies? Yikes! We live in Oregon's Juniper forests so you could probably never come visit. ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh, no! That sounds really unpleasant. How long do the controlled burns last?

Anonymous said...

Oh that is just awful and nasty!! Hate it.. Go run, go somewhere wonderful.. afterall, you know a man with an airstream!!! xxooo

Suzanne said...

Ick, yuck! I suppose there is that nice, first smell of the reminder of a great fireplace, but to not be able to get away? So sad! Maybe you should wear one of those sexy face masks everyone was wearing years ago to avoid the bird flu?? :)

Jill Monroe said...

Oh my, that sounds miserable. I love the smell of campfire, but only when I'm camping. Take care!

Anonymous said...

The Airstream smells like a campfire too, even with the HEPA running on high! Good grief.

My trip to Phoenix yesterday yielded cleaner air, and that's saying a lot!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin