20 September 2007

At The Shop...

The majority of my days are spent at my resale clothing store...Snap Snap, and they have been for the past 12 and one half years (approximately...it always makes me feel good though, when someone comes in, looks at me and says..."so...you started the shop when you were 15?" blush.) And anyone who works with the public knows how trying it can be to one's spirit (yes, that's a fancy way of saying there's a lot of spoilt people out there who demand a whole lot, and are unwilling to give back...plus, I've been doing the retail/cashier gig since I was 11, so I'm about ready to retire any day now....unfortunately, the millions my family has amassed has never been all at one time, so I've got to work for a living) For the sake of the funny and the head shaking I have been toying with the idea of devoting one day a week to shop talk...that is, what weird and annoying and potentially funny things are going on in my corner of the world...

Cause' I'm tellin' ya'...I could write a book...

Time: Late afternoon.

A woman walks in to look at skirts, and asks to try one on. Now, there's actually no dressing rooms open at this time, but I promise her that I will jump up and run and get her as soon as one becomes empty. As always, I am surprised at the things people want to try on...not so much the styles, because we're living in the land of "anything goes, as long as it's comfortable" (which probably explains why people were wearing slippers and pj bottoms there a while back) but, the actual size. Now, I am not a terribly thin girl...but, compared to where I was, I'm loving where I am now. This woman was certainly bigger than I am, and tried on a skirt that was an 8. She seemed bummed it didn't fit. hmmmm...really?

We then got into a discussion about the music. I love to play all sorts of different fun world and upbeat/danceish music.

She made me write down the name of the CD set.

She then admired
my glasses frames...She made me write down Gianni Versace and was trying to talk me into telling her how much I paid for them (I was still trying to be nice at this point in the conversation not realizing that I had a real live odd one here...plus, I don't tell anyone how much I paid for my frames, because they were expensive and I feel a tiny bit guilty...plus, they may look a little different on someone with that thick of lenses...I'm just sayin.)

She left.

She came back in.

She told me that she had originally came in to find a brown skirt, and what was the size of the one in the window? Well...it's a size 5. As we've previously determined, she's not an 8...so my guess would probably be, she's not a 5 either (deductive reasoning my friends) Now, I do not usually like to wrestle things off the mannequins when there is no hope whatsoever that it will be bought, because that means I have to part all the tank tops and crawl through the window, leaning over the bottom bar of a rack somewhat like a trapeze artist, and if I wanted to join the circus I would dress up in one of those sparkly leotards, put feathers in my hair and ride an elephant (it's a height thing, cause the tightrope does look fun and sound fun in theory) So, she says:

"boy, I bet the little girls find all sorts of things to buy in here, because no one else is buying anything"

Weirdly enough, the store was full of people, and some woman who was just shopping in the larger section brought up an armload of stuff to buy (by now, I determined I needed to try to cut short any communication with her so as to possibly not prolong her visit to the shop. Plus, she was starting to give red-heads a bad name...as she was sporting a particularly bad hair dye job...or maybe it wasn't the dye job as much as it was the really "I cut my own hair with a flow-bee" hair cut...) So, I think I retorted with a witty:

"...well...someone's buying something, cause' I've been running the shop for 12 and a half years now"

I was trying to wait on someone at the moment, and this was becoming plain tiresome.

She actually bought a hat and wrote a check and said "...this is from the bank here in town, so it's good" ???? Really? Is that how it works? How nice...I think I shall go write a check for a new car, you know, because it's from a bank here in town. OK...I actually did write a check for the Rav4 but that's beside the point.

People.

I swear.

11 comments:

Suzanne said...

HA! What torture! It's bad enough to have to sit next to someone like this on a plane, but to have them in your store and not be able to say, "I've got to go now..."-TORTURE! That's a great story, and yes, perhaps you should write a book-great laughs!

stilettoheights said...

I used to own a retail store...sigh, this was very enjoyable to read!!!

Elle said...

Ah, people. They keep life interesting, don't they?

I love your shop - I'll have to look for an excuse to head out there one of these days!

laura capello said...

thank you for reminding me why retail is not the best job in the world. oh my hell.

Anonymous said...

Ay yi yi. I miss retail, but not those customers. :D In the bookstore I worked in, I was the designated "difficult customer" person. If you had an issue, the rest of the staff sent you my way. Joy. :D

Catalyst said...

In my bookstore, the official motto was "It's a great business except for the damned customers!"

Anonymous said...

Oh my bob. I would not have been able to stop myself from making a snarky comment.

Carol Dunton said...

Oh yes, my dear girlfriend!!!

B R I N G I T O N ! ! ! !

Being in education, I can't tell you how many times we have shaken our heads at how crazy our experiences are!! I tell you, if I wrote a book about my life as a teacher, people would accuse me of lying! They would say "No way would that happen!!!" I would simply reply ... 'Way'. And having worked retail, I totally understand your experiences with customers. I once had a customer walk in my shop (a needlework shop) and she simple walked around. I offered help, assistance, which she declined. So I sat down at my table and after a few minutes, this woman walked by. She told me, "I have such a bad case of gas! I'm thinkin' if I just walk it off, I'll feel a lot better! Whooo!"

What do you say to that!?!

Uh.. 'Please ma'am... would you mind going somewhere else to fart??"

geeshhhhh...

like I said, dear friend...

BRING IT ON!!

It can only get better!! :)))

Love you like a crazy friend!
VB

quilteddogs said...

I really enjoyed reading this post! It was quite fun.

Anonymous said...

retail...ugh....I remember those days. And working ready-to-wear was the pits. I much preferred the hard lines.

Dee Light said...

People!!! I worked in retail, in high school and college, it drove me insane!!!

I decided I was a kid person, not a people person. so I became a teacher!!! I had to talk to the crazy parents some, but the kids made up for that.

Loved the story!!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin