11 September 2007

I Don't Play Monopoly...


I was reminded of that tonight on The Peavine Trail (of all places, sometimes in the rain, sharing an umbrella) while on my evening 4 miles with a favorite person of mine.

We were in
a discussion about many of life's challenges...and out popped,

"I don't play Monopoly"

and he stopped.

In his tracks...
just staring at me.

"Well, I don't. My mother refused to teach me because she claims everyone always ends up arguing and in a bad mood afterwards"

Then again, I really don't know how that would differ from most things my family did...

And then I
started thinking about all the other things I don't do:

  • I can't ride a bike very well (my dad was teaching me and let go of the bike and I fell...I thought it was horrible of him to do that, and I didn't really feel like trying again. I did win a mountain bike in college, and a friend of mine taught me how...it still scares me a bit)
  • I've never kayaked (I did do a 2 person outrigger canoe on my honeymoon...not a good experience though...we didn't work well as a team most of the time)
  • I've never gone rock climbing...and it was only recently that I realized that I felt comfortable hopping around on rocks, and hiking around...and that I'm good at it.
  • I don't like to ski (although, I've tried both downhill and cross country...I don't find it fun, put me in a cabin in the snow with a good book and some cocoa, and I'm there)
  • I've never backpacked anywhere (unless you count Italy...mostly that was me in the rain tromping around lost trying to find my hotel...but, I just loved it, and I've always wanted to backpack somewhere)
  • I've never shot a gun.
  • I've never hang glided or gone up in a hot air balloon (I'm a little nervous around heights, although, I love to fly in a plane)
I'm sure there's even more...

But, why concentrate on the things I don't do, when there's so many things I do actually do.

For some reason, I never thought of myself as an adventurous person...probably because I was scared out of my mind to do anything for a lot of my life. Then...a few years ago, I decided that I would try to do new things...even if I was scared:

  • I took and Italian class and went to Italy (planned and booked the entire itinerary all by myself...it was my dream trip)
  • Got a divorce.
  • Tried a whole bunch of slides at a water park (I don't know what was scarier there...the slides, or having to get in a bathing suit and go out in public)
  • Learned how to knit (and yes, I do plan on finishing my winter scarf before it gets cold again)
  • Started sewing again...made my first quilt, a lot of gifts, and quite a few bags that I sold in the shop.
  • Started making ephemera cards and art...selling those in my shop now too!
  • Hopping around on a bunch of rocks...and hiking more and more regularly.
  • Trying desperately to eat the right foods and exercise for only the reason of my health.
Because somewhere in the back of my mind, I realize that life is too short to be holding myself back from anything I want to try...and besides, if I do try something and I don't like it, I'll never have to do it again right?

And who knows?

Maybe I'll even learn to play Monopoly...

(What are you holding yourself back from trying?)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

:-D)

I can conquer the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guess what we plan on picking up tomorrow? Squeeeeeeeeee!

Anonymous said...

Hi There!
If you ever want to go shooting, let me know and I'll take you!! It's lots of fun and I'm good at it!! Talk about a rush!! We'd need 3 days for monopoly though, It seems to go on forever. The game of LIFE is much more fun!! I have it too if you ever want to play it, just let me know!! Love you, T

nuttnbunny said...

In a way I find it liberating to ID the things I WON'T ever do.

1) I'll never be a Matador
2) I'll never be an Astronaut
3) I'll never be on a Reality TV show
4) etc.

It helps free up the bandwidth for the multiplicity of things I WILL do.

1) Learn to play to banjo
2) Be a good friend
3) Declutter my house
4) etc.


btw - Monopoly is a BORING game :-)

:-)

laura capello said...

i learned to ride a bike when i was 13 and had this huge accident that left me with a huge scare on my left knee. it's totally gross.

Jolene George said...

You have such a great attitude!
Hey...I'd hang out with you in the cabin in the snow with a book a cocoa. Sounds relaxing and peaceful to me. Let the crazy people ski. :o)

stilettoheights said...

a lot of your things you can't/don't do are the same as mine....

including the bike one...

Jill Monroe said...

Absolutely WAY too short. I was scared to death when I mentioned to the hubby I wanted to quit my job and start writing.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin