12 September 2007

The Changing of the Seasons...

It's here...

the changing of the weather (like the changing of the guards: serious...and nothing to be messesd with, only without so much ceremony...) the coolness of the evenings and mornings (I donned a light jacket for my AM walk) So...with the natural changing of the seasons, comes all the changes around here...

A new mantle display...the changing of the light...the changing of the lotion...

Ah yes, the lotion.

As mentioned somewhere in this little recording of my life, I like floating around in bubble baths...and what naturally follows a bubble bath?

Why yes, that would be the lotion.

And wait a minute...that would also naturally include the bubble bath as well wouldn't it?

Ok...to be more specific...it's the changing of the scents.

I have lighter
flowery scents for the spring and summer for my lotions, bubble bath, hand soap, and the various candles that find themselves light up here often...and heavier scents for the fall and winter.

It's those little ceremonies and rituals that mark my life.
(or, perhaps I have too much time on my hands)

My grandmother
once commented about the fact that I usually change out my duvet covers as well. I didn't have the heart to tell her, with all the thrifting I do, it's next to impossible to pass up beautiful duvet covers I find (and now I'm making them as well) So...I have to put them on the bed...I'm just using the seasons as an excuse. I'm thinking this hearkens back to my mother putting the most fabulous crazy quilt on my bed for the Christmas season...it was special, just for me...and only for that one time of year.

And, perhaps it gives me the excuse to also buy scillions amounts of lotions and bubble baths (oh...and body soap) But, to be fair, I have stopped myself from buying anything new, until I use up all the ones I have...unless it's on sale, or at a thrift (cruds...I haven't stopped myself at all have I?) For instance, I bought an extra Pumpkin Pie Spice bubble bath last year because I knew they would immediately discontinue that scent, and I'm tellin' ya', it's almost as good as baking yourself into a pie, and eating your way out. I also came across a Philosophy gift set a while back...and while I don't normally go for the food scents in soaps (cause let's be honest, who wants to be caught licking their own skin all day?) But, in it's defense, it did have some great coffee and chocolate combinations (and we all know that I no longer have chocolate in the house...unless, unless...I wonder if they make that stuff with real chocolate? I mean, it does smell good enough to eat...hmmmm...) And, then there's the peppermint candy one just for the Christmas season (it goes out the day after Thanksgiving, somewhat like the biggest shopping day of the year)

You know...it does all sound amazingly frivolous, but it all lives together in the bathroom wall cabinet, and can be switched from front to back in mere minutes.

Cause' you know if I really had all that extra time...I'd probably be organizing the house, and getting it ready for the winter months ahead (snort) Oh...but, really, it's only September, and that thought is just a wisp of what's to come...as soon as it starts cooling down during the days, I'll be cleaning and reorganizing and putting the winter clothes where they belong and banishing all the summer away...

Until then...

I'll be floating in a sea of Chocolate Hazelnut Espresso Cream bubbles...

9 comments:

Dee Light said...

I just love the changing of seasons!!! my daughter has been begging to get out the fall decorations!!! And oh, those lotions, yes, yes!!! Enjoy the transition into fall.

Tonya said...

I feel like the summer went by too fast but I'm finding myself getting excited for fall. Those lotions look so yummy. I use Shikai Vanilla lotion in the winter and Avalon Lavender or organic coconut lotion in the summer. And to answer yesterday's blog, I'm holding myself back from learning how to knit. It looks so complicated, I just don't know if I can do it.

Anonymous said...

I am quite ready for fall and all the yummy goodness that comes with it. In fact, I may go ahead and pull out my own Pumpkin Pie bodywash and get things rolling.

flutter said...

I wish we HAD seasons down here in the valley...

sulu-design said...

You're too much! I love it. I knew all about the changing of the mantel, but had no idea about the changing of the scents. It's wonderful to be so connected to the seasons like that.

stilettoheights said...

I love fall, I am totally in love with it.

laura capello said...

oooooo... pretty mantle. pretty mantle ::drool::

and i love changing scents (mainly candles around here, as OF COURSE we are allergic to the scenty stuff) and pillows with the seasons too.

we're awesome like that.

Anonymous said...

To heck with the bubble bath and lotions...Let's get some REAL chocolate!!!!

bwahahahahahhhaha!

Anonymous said...

Love your mantel stuffed with pretty things. I can't wait for the weather to turn here so I can decorate for fall.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin