24 September 2007

Fall Equionx Surprise...

Well, you've caught me...sitting in the Airstream out for a little visit with Rich (or the couch...we've had that discussion before...this is a super comfy couch) And waiting...

Eagerly...

For the start
of the next season of Heroes. This last Saturday started early (up desperately trying to finish the latest huge project of mine) listening to the rain. Which came down down down, in torrents, all day long. Making for the perfect Saturday...of flopping on the very couch I am currently sitting on right now for a marathon of Heroes...an all day one at that. I had decided that I wanted to "get into" the series, and Rich happens to have it all on the computer, so, we sat and watched...Until a particularly sad episode (which did leave me sobbing) and shortly after, we called it a night. Of course, we were running out of time to get some quality rest, and did have several hours set aside to watch the final episodes the next day.

It was the perfect rainy day...I needed the rest. I had been quite busy...all week.

You see...

Rich wrote a post recently about being homesick and it really struck a chord with me. I actually feel quite homesick this time of year as well...and I'm living in the very town I grew up in. I am thinking for me that it is a serious case of nostalgia...of the winding down of the year, a beginning of firsts. Closing the windows in the house, putting the flannel sheets on the bed for the first time...pumpkin flavored baked goods, and home made soup...and Rich and I were talking about all of this (well, the sheet part especially stuck with me) and I was feeling sad that he was feeling sad...

So, I had an epiphany...

I must create something for him...just for him, to have in the Airstream so that he can celebrate the fall too...

I ran down to the fabric store, got a pile of fleece, some batting...and not a lot of time (this was last Tuesday and I gave myself until Saturday morning which led to sewing into the late hours of the evenings) to make a applique quilt. You see, I wanted to give it to him for a Fall Equinox present...So, I got super busy...

I hand tied the middle which is the large plaid part, to hold in the natural cotton batting between all the fleece and the 300 count cotton sheet I used for the back. The quilt is Full Sized and was a little unwieldy to run through my tiny machine in my tiny space...so, I laid it down in the basement and crawled around sewing the middle together, before I hauled it upstairs again to quilt the border...

Ahhh...the border.



I designed and appliqued
little Airstreams and little Nissan Titans (with campers) together...and Rich pointed out that I had the tires not quite right, but not to change the design, "...because it's cute"







On the long sides of the quilt, I made the Airstream traveling during the daytime with the sun and clouds and cactus all around...









On the short sides of the quilt, I made the Airstream traveling at night with the crescent moon out, surrounded by pine trees...

I love the way it turned out, and the size is perfect for the bed in the Airstream and hangs over just the right amount on every side, and a good weight for the coming cold this season...plus, it's super soft and fuzzy and snuggly (Rich really likes fleece, so it was the perfect choice of fabric)

Happy Fall Equinox!

13 comments:

Suzanne said...

Wow! From Tuesday until Saturday only??? You are amazing! This is the cutest and most personal gift you could have given him! Did you just cut out a template for the truck and Airstream and use it?

flutter said...

Oh Sadira I love it!

Tonya said...

Love it! What a lucky guy.

quilteddogs said...

Boy. You are really innovative with your sewing. I've been sewing forever and could not come up with this idea in a million years. Hope to see a lot more of it.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe how quickly you finished that quilt. It has applique! And it's an applique design, not just random shapes.h

laura capello said...

SERIOUSLY. the is beyond fucking awesome.

Anonymous said...

:-(

Lois needs a trella warming gift....

Sadira, that is just too cute! I bet he'll mist up on that one... Don't tell him I told you that.

;-D)

Anonymous said...

bwahahahahahaha!

Anonymous said...

OH!!! It is fantastic!!!! What a wonderful creation! Did he love it???

I have to say, my mammie is just so sad and nostalgic right now. I am doing backflips and she is sad for fall... What is up with that?? Please help me understand... xxxooo

Granny J said...

Those borders you made are very, very cool. And in record time -- that's what truly impresses me.

Carol Dunton said...

girl...
you are A - MAZE - ING!!!

What a gift from the heart!
What a lucky guy!

Happy harvest moon tomorrow night!
xo
VB

stilettoheights said...

wow I am impressed!!!

(also, how cool was Heroes???)

Madame Queen said...

Okay, that photo? At the top of this post? Where is that? Because it looks like heaven. I must go there.

Awesome quilt, btw

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin