13 August 2007

Walkin' On The...

Wild Side

This weekend, I started a new walking regimen. I hesitate to say anything about it almost because it's a little ambitious. Certainly not impossible, but ambitious.

I haven't always had the best body image (that's the nice way of putting my self esteem is shaky sometimes and that I don't like the way I look) Back in high school I was really thin...and while I know that I will probably not weigh that again, I think there's a part of me that is kind of stuck there.

So...that was a while ago.

I'm thinking it's time to move on from that time in my life and embrace where I'm at right now.


Part of where I'm at right now is having the experience of loosing a ton of weight after my divorce, feeling entirely better about my body situation (and yes, I realize that this has a lot to do with society and what is desirable, and less to do with how healthy I actually am) and, I'm thinking that a lot of the subsequent weight loss had to do with stress, and now that I'm no longer stressed to that extreme, I am um...slacking a bit.




So, this weekend I started walking 8 miles a day. Now, before you freak out...I do 4 in the AM and 4 in the PM...it only takes an hour at a time and I'm trying to divide it between the local neighborhood and Peavine...or any other trail locally. It's really only 2 hours out of my day, and I'm already feeling it...my feet are sore and so is the tushie. But, I feel really great.

And this morning, I wish I would have brought my camera with me (one can only carry so much with them though) I was walking in my neighborhood and was startled out of my walking stupor by a small herd of javelina...4 adults and about 6 babies. And while they're sort of cute (the babies anyway) they are destructive...and mean when their young are around. So, I stopped and waited for them to pass, and that's when I looked to my left and saw about 20 more.

Oh boy.

Luckily, something
scared them and we all went our separate ways with no early morning chasing (cause I don't like to run, and running is not a part of all this getting in shape/changing my metabolism thing) Then, as I was rounding a corner in the neighborhood, in almost the exact location where the hawk almost flew into my head one morning...a coyote ran out in front of me.

Oh yeah, A real coyote...

Oh boy.

Did I mention that I live downtown?
In a somewhat bustling little neighborhood?
And it was almost 7 AM?

Getting healthy is not for the weak...

6 comments:

thatgirldina said...

Look! I can post...without the computer going wonky! HORRAY! I still haven't figured out the security problem, but for now all is good and I'm going with the flow.

8 MILES!??! Go you! :) Honestly, I think you look amazing, but you already know that don't you?

I also must say that your photos are getting lovlier as the days go by! I think that last one is quite inspiring!

I feel a girlie whine-n-cheese night is in order soon before I emotionally explode. You game?
xoxo,
-deenie

Anonymous said...

Good for you! Those javelinas (sp?) look a little scary to me. And coyotes? Yikes.

Granny J said...

Eight miles? WOW!!! I'm doing good to get in one mile in a day. But remember: ALWAYS TAKE YOUR CAMERA -- you can find amazing things in Prescott, including javelina and coyotes (though that last sighting leaves me a bit nervous -- my Max cat insists upon spending all too much time outdoors.) Nice pictures you are getting on your walks, BTW.

Anonymous said...

Bravo you!! Kath and I have been walking M-F now for about 6 weeks--we put in an hour, but hardly go 4 miles since it's all uphill!! Oh my, my butt hurts. :D

You're ambitious and I like it! Inspiring. :D (Maybe when I get my energy back I'll double up on workouts!)

Carol Dunton said...

I'm naming you Ms. Ambitious-de-less-Tush!! : ) Love da little bunny rabbit.. You go, girl!
xo
VB

Anonymous said...

Wow! Didn't know it could be so dangerous to get healthy! Hawks, Coyotes, and Javelina, oh my!

I wish I were as motivated as you. I think my jaw hit the floor when I read "8 miles"!!! Even breaking it up into 4 in the am and 4 in the pm. So impressed!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin