13 December 2008

Holiday Presence :: Day Eighteen



Acker Night...

A fundraiser for the parcels of land the Acker family generously left for our use in the community...many house parks, playgrounds and hiking trails and are enjoyed by all...Perhaps the most enjoyable thing is Acker Musical Night. This is a night when a lot of the downtown businesses stay open late and host local musical and performance talent within the community...some serving cookies and treats, hot cocoa, and cider (and I'm telling you, to watch some of these people, it's the only time of year they get a cookie...I watched several people at various treat tables shoving it in with both hands...spewing crumbs all over before running out to do it at the next place...yikes.) Like a lot of celebrations in Prescott, this one has a huge turn out, and one of the best things about it is the fact that it's mostly us locals. With the highly publicized Holiday activities in Arizona's Christmas City...this is the one that isn't necessarily played up as much as the others, so it's usually a whole lot of local people instead, which is so fun...because you're constantly running into someone you know.

It is my most favorite activity to participate in during the holiday season...and it was last night. I was a little bummed because three different shops on my street took part. No one usually takes part at all...and I would have loved to join in the fun! Well...maybe next year instead. This year, while my mother manned her own shop, I ran to get Rozzilyn so we could walk around and enjoy ourselves together...that's one of the bummers about being open during the festival...you can't walk around and enjoy it. Even with the small drizzle, it was a wonderful night and a terrific turn out.

I was reminded of being in Italy, as usually during the evenings, people come out in droves to enjoy the night, strolling, eating and chatting with fellow friends...and with some of the main streets surrounding the square closed off, it promoted a lot of all those things. With the music of the different talents, it was so very Christmassy...The picture above was early in the evening...by the end, you couldn't walk on the sidewalks as comfortably.

I ended the evening back at the gallery so I could sneak in a little time with Rich and help with crowd control while he and Ian talked to all the people. This was his first experience with Acker night (I think he was working this night last year) and even though he wasn't lucky enough to get out and walk around...he was totally blown away by the amount of people that came out to have fun.

I also ran to Dina's to pick up the photo component for my holiday cards. I can't wait to get started on putting them together...although, I'm feeling a little under the weather, and am trying not to get sick (I think)

We're also all eagerly awaiting this season's first snow...which may visit us as early as tomorrow (30% chance)
Which is prompting a little winter themed road trip for Rich and I Monday...
as long as we're both feeling better.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's two of us with the highly decorated pickup! Good to see you last night.

Anonymous said...

I love the lighted pickup truck!
Please take care of yourself. Put a little extra honey and lemon in that tea... OK?

flutter said...

oh that pickup is so cool!

TCallihan said...

Wasn't the crowd amazing? I think the weather was perfect, just drizzly enough. I love to be downtown on nights like this.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin