03 November 2007

The Pupcake Obsession...

It was recently pointed out to me that I might have a bit of a pupcake obsession...

That's not necessarily so.

I love to make food, bake and nurture using the kitchen as a muse. I love to cook for other people but, living alone cuts down on the amount of food I make...heck, it's cut down on making a lot of food in general...it's hard to cook for one, and I do feel crazy silly making a fancy dinner for just me...so, it's a a lot of stuff on the go, or something easy and quick...

Also, acknowledgment of my food allergies requires a lot of ingredient substitutions, and sometimes things don't turn out quite as good as they could (like those uber-crunchy carob chip cookies a while back?) although, I am going to try to work on making more of my favorite recipes edible...And since I don't want to eat all of my creations (cause' I want to fit in my pants) I need to make them as edible to other people as possible...so, I can give them away and they will be eaten...It just happens to be that the pupcakes I've made turn out wonderfully! So, it's easy for me to make them and know they're going to turn out...I feel confident. For instance...for Halloween, I experimented with the recipe, and added pumpkin along with a little applesauce and it resulted in a delightful fall treat...

I recently picked up a copy of Gluten-Free Girl, and am enjoying it quite a bit...renewing my own commitment to avoiding my allergy foods...you see, my allergies don't affect me so badly that they make me as ill as a lot of the people I know. Which usually means they make me stuffed up and tired, but until I eat a lot of things that I'm allergic to (because it's a cumulative effect...the food allergy thing...so the more you eat, the more you store in your body) and then out of the blue...I get sick, for seemingly no reason at all. If I am super careful, every once in a while I can indulge, but it's getting to the point that any more than that and I don't feel quite right...and you know what? I'm tired of feeling tired...

So...Cheers to the making and eating of safe foods...cause' a girl can not live on pupcakes alone...

Today I am thankful for:

Having a mantle in the house, so I can change it for each season and holiday...making me creative on the fly!

Being bold enough to take myself out to the movie I've been wanting to see...

2 comments:

rebecca said...

I wish I cooked more, or for that matter, knew how to cook more than three or four things. It's on my 101 in 1001 list, but I haven't been making too many strides to it. Curses!

Aaaaaand, KUDOS to you for going to the movies by yourself. That's actually one of my favorite things to do. I bring a book, read until the lights go down, and then enjoy! It's quite a pleasant experience.

Suzanne said...

Going to the movies by oneself can be a great experience. Its something I used to do a couple of time a month when I lived in Prescott in the early 90s. I'm just dying to go to the movies now, but hubby won't let us, for fear I'll go into labor! Oh, and you probably can't have that yummy, buttery popcorn, can you, with your allergies? That's the best part sometimes!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin