20 November 2007

Oh Nuts...

I was at my mother's this weekend picking up some egg replacer for the crunchy cookies I made...ahem, and she mentioned that she had discovered a box of Christmas things that she doesn't remember even putting up since we moved to Arizona (we figure they got lost in the storage of the old house)

Well...
there was a mismatch of odd assortments of things from her childhood and mine...and a bunch of really old ornaments...I'm assuming from someone elses childhood as well...some packed in the most amazing vintage shoe boxes!

There were a lot
of really wonderful and fun things...and among them was this gold glitter macaroni and nut beauty...Oh yes...it is quite amazing. I gabbed it and said, "can I have it?!" My mother made sure that I was the one who had made it (which leaves my sister breathing a sigh of relief somewhere, as this can not be the kind of thing she would expect in a package)

I love it! It is the epitome of school or Church crafting in the 1970's (since it did not have a date or place on it, only my name who knows when or where I made it?) my mother was, of course, proud of my composition...and we laughed hysterically when we imagined the teacher standing above a group of kids saying things like,

"Don't just load up on pasta people...there are some mighty fine nuts here too!"

Oh...doesn't everything just look better with a layer of gold spray paint and glitter?

Today I am Thankful For:


macaroni, glue, gold spray paint and glitter...and a mom who saves the good crafts...so we can laugh at them later.

Tom-Ka Thai soup for dinner tonight to accompany knitting with the fam.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember the gold spray paint "macaroni" covered cigar box I made for Mother's day. It was supposed to be a jewelery box. It's long gone to the craft cemetery in the sky. She kept the blue glazed clay circle pin I made for her in it...

Those were the days. Thanks for the smile and allowing me a nostalgic moment!

Anonymous said...

This is too funny! It definitely has that 70s feel to it. And some bling factor, as well. :D

Bobbypin Bandit said...

gold spray paint and glitter DO make everything better!! It would be fun to have an ornament making party with adults and provide them with these same items and see what happens. Very lovely!

flutter said...

my mom totally has something I made in sunday school that is like lasagna noodles and snot covered in silver glitter and hung on the tree by a ribbon. Haute art and cuisine, both. Indeed.

kirida said...

So much of my childhood was filled with turning food into crappy art.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE iT!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, I want to make one NOW!!!! xxxoxo

Anonymous said...

I LOVE IT!! It's a perfect crafty time capsule

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin