17 May 2006

The Trip-Day 12


Today we went to the town of Sedlec about an hour outside of Prague to see Kutna-Hora...A chapel that is decorated with the bones of about 40,000 people. As you can see above the chapel is ancient...It's actually leaning into the ground...It is the most amazing place! It may look a little creepy, but it really isn't. It felt like a celebration of death rather than something frightening. It's just really old, and not as dusty as some of the places in Europe! There are bones everywhere you look hanging from the ceilings and over the doorways and over the windows...sheilds, pyramids, and even challaces! They just ran out of places to bury people during the plagues...so why not dry them out a bit and celebrate the human body?































The chandelier is the most impressive because not only is it in the middle of the room, but it uses every bone in the human body!
















And everywhere you look, ther is some sort of an interesting use of bones for decoration!



I also especially love this picture of Thais and I, because we look so cheery in the midst of all these bones! But really, it does not feel weird at all!













We then traveled back to Prague to just walk around and shop. The countryside on the way back looked a little bleak, but I was wondering if it was because it was still early spring there? I mean, we kept seeing tons of HUGE bunnies and wild pheasants roaming around while on the train. I was trying to think of if I'd ever even seen a pheasant in the US other than in really old pictures or stuffed? At any rate, this is the day I found some of my favorite faces on the buildings in Praha! I am tempted to draw and paint these on my own walls...Or maybe a tattoo of the woman with the tree??





















And check out the little cherubs around that door way!


And then that evening we enjoyed a late dinner under the stars of Prague in one of the squares...It was breathtaking! And quite romantic, even if I was with my family, although it makes me wonder if I'll ever go back with someone I can be romantic with?
















Don't some of these buildings look just like Disneyland?

Now I'm off to sleepy land as I came home and did some revamping/yard work of the side "patio" and then got a really good start on something creative...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well that's just creepy!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin