23 May 2008

In Which She Makes Up Her Mind...

Yeah.

I wouldn't hold me to that...but, there it is at any rate.

I have made up my mind.
(again)

While walking to the chiropractor earlier this week, I glanced to my left and noticed them unloading a couch at the thrift. I stopped in my tracks and thought, "hmmm...that is a nice couch if one was inclined to like things such as that..." and then went on my way. You see, I haven't had a couch in the house for years now...even since before. When I was married. I am not thrilled with couches in the least, throwing them by the roadside in favor of chairs (I do want it known, however, that I haven't actually thrown or left a couch by a roadside...I am not the person who is abandoning couches in your town) Preferably large overstuffed chairs...comfortable chairs, chairs you can really sink the bootay into. I think having individual chairs in a space is actually more conducive to conversation. Plus? The most recent couch I had was one of those craftsman style futon ones with all the wood. See: not comfortable. So, one could argue, why on earth would I ever need a couch again?

Only...

Only...
(Yes, I'm using that voice)

I've been spending a lot of time in a place that does have a couch (only I don't think that me having a couch will replace that) A couch where 2 people regularly stretch out snacking, watching movies, snuggling under blankets, playing footsie, smiling at each other...And, then I realized something more recently...I can not, no matter how I try, comfortably stretch out on my chairs. I can not take a quick nap in front of the TV, I can not rest reclining when I'm sick...This is not to say that I am all of a sudden anticipating falling asleep in front of the TV or being sick as a common and normal part of my life, but I realized something...A comfortable couch affords a place to flop.

Especially one that only needs a thorough vacuum with a Dyson, and some light sponging of it's microfiber covering or a quick run through the washer of it's zip-off cushions...One that happens to be all curvy, overstuffed, and have nail heads (and I love me some nail head furniture) One that I have a feeling will happen to match the living room in which it will be residing perfectly.

One that was only $65 to boot.

I walked back and snatched it up after a quick phone call to mum to see if she wanted my cream silk and down wrapped Henredon chairs (purchased at the same thrift brand new, years ago) I sadly say goodbye to what may be the most expensive chairs I will ever own, not realizing at the time that I was buying some of the more costly furniture in the USA when I acquired them (but mum was very excited after I told her I had bought them) I had just been looking for overstuffed chairs for about a year, patiently biding my time until they came through one of the thrifts...when much to my delight, I coincidentally bought 3 overstuffed chairs and one ottoman that same week, in quick succession of each other and fulfilling my furniture needs for quite some time. Such it is in the world of the thrift...I've often been able to afford things I never thought I could (and buying silk and down wrapped chairs...cream colored ones no less, in a resale situation makes one feel easier about putting one's feet upon the furniture or letting the cat climb around on them) but, these uber shi-shi chairs are only making a quick exit to mum's house...I will probably still be enjoying them for years to come (I meant to try to have her talk me out of buying a couch because of the reasons listed above, and totally forgot...maybe it is time to get a couch?)

I stood in Snap Snap most of the day, sneaking glances at my new couch...flirting with it, picturing it in my living room, mentally trying to work out it's exact placement, and wondering what it will look like when it makes it's way to Foolsewoode, instinctively hating the pillows that come with it and knowing that the ones I currently have at home will be perfect...knowing that the style of the couch will also match the style of the nail head floral chair and matching ottoman that I will be keeping in that same room, the color will match the colors of everything in the room, giggling inside my head because it's like some kind of What Not To Wear for the living room (congratulating myself that the couch is a neutral, and what doesn't match a neutral?) ...and resisting the urge to yell,

"stop touching my couch!!" whenever I see someone walk by it, stopping long enough to casually run their hands along the arms or the back...willing them not to sit on it, or run up and slyly load it into their car and speed away...ultimately kidnapping my latest family member.

It is currently sitting out in the sun (as I write this) waiting to be loaded into the truck that will take it home for me, and I was feeling a little concerned...maybe it would fade?!?! I decided to talk myself down that ledge and realize that probably not in the small amount of time it has been sitting out there, will it fade...and appeasing myself finally with the idea that only good things can come of the couch sitting in the sun...the most important being that it will magically be disinfected by the suns healing rays. I am also hoping that everything will be rearranged and moved in and out by the time the rain gets here this week...cause' you know if I've got upholstered furniture sitting out it will rain...maybe I should wash the car just to double negative the effects of the weather...

I've made up my mind...I'm taking some of the seriously small amount of my stimulus check, and stimulating my neighborhood economy (I will then be sending the rest back to the IRS in time for my quarterly tax payment.)

It's time for me to have a couch again...

A couch fits with the person that I've become.

For now anyway...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow thats a really nice couch for $65 bucks! i am totally impressed! good for you!!

Carol Dunton said...

LOVE THIS! What a find and it looks perfect!! Great job there, girl! You da bargin queen! : )
VB

~Molly~ said...

Squeeeee!!! THAT is an adorable couch!! Heck, your whole living room is adorable!

Molly

Anonymous said...

And let's face it, it's kinda hard to snuggle sitting in a chair. :D

BRAVO! Well done. I envy your thrift stores! :D

Anonymous said...

Oh! That is a lovely couch!!! You had to have it!! had to!!! ;) Your place is so lovely!! xox

sulu-design said...

I agree with Wende (unless one is sitting in the other's lap... which is only occasionally acceptable). Yay for the new couch! We're in desperate need of one 'round this way. I hope we fall into some of the luck you had with yours.

Mytutorlist.com said...

Perfect couches are hard to find and you seem to have lucked out. Congrats! It looks great and I'm sure it will provide you with much lounging opportunities. Yay for comfy couches!

luvmygreenbug said...

great couch, and such a bargain! I love my microfiber couch (it's a wonderful red color)..two weeks after I bought it, we had a BBQ, and someone got grease on it..a quick cleaning with Ivory soap..and good as new! Your new couch fits perfectly into your cozy living room....

Anonymous said...

that is totally a gorgeous couch!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin