12 December 2007

Oh Christmas Tree...


Oh Christmas Tree...

You're going to have to be 50 ft. bigger for me to put all my ornaments on...

Almost every year, I go through my ornaments to choose which ones will be hung on the tree. You know? Which ones will make the cut?

Ha.

Almost fooled you didn't I? I actually have a lot of ornaments that I adore (all the one's I own right now) And, I would love to say the reason I can't fit them all on the tree is because the tree is taller and thinner than the one I use to use for Christmas...but, it could actually hold more ornaments for sure...I just didn't want it to be too overloaded...so, I left some in the box...and I did the cardinal sin in tree decorating...I didn't hang any facing the window! Can you imagine? I can...because you haven't seen the way the sun blasts through the window in the morning...both good for Meena, who has a down bed in the window for napping on and me...who likes to drink her coffee and welcome the day...but bad for tree ornament fading. And, I would hate to fade or ruin any ornaments (just ask the box of blown glass hearts that had to go bye-bye)

Every year I tell myself I will only buy one ornament...and be done with it for the year (of course candles, and linens are up for grabs still) It sounds like a great theory doesn't it? I mean, probably one that would work well for someone who didn't thrift...

ahem.

Well, we all know that's not the case at Chez' Foolesewoode don't we? I mean, there was the one year I put up the pink aluminum tree...and I didn't feel right using my Hallmark figural ornaments on it, so I ran around and snatched up any vintage balls with glitter or painting on them instead...and inevitably fell in love with most of those as well...so, in the Christmas ornament bin they went...I have been very good this year as well...resisting everything.

Almost.

Until I went to the thrift and found this box of ornaments. The box says they are Lanissa Christmas Tree Ornaments made in West Germany. The original price tag said they were 99 cents...the today price tag was $1.00...oh, and did I mention that the Christmas Items were 50% off?

::blink blink::

And, while I love a good deal...I couldn't believe how cute these little ornaments are. There are only 3 balls that don't have something special about them (and one of them is the most unusual peach color) There are 2 with that cut out thing going on...one with a snowman, one with flowers, one with a single white stripe and one with a village all accented with glitter...(2 of them pink!) One with a rather clean shaven Santa...and one with both a cut out thing and a mushroom painted on it!

Utterly delightful each one!

A couple even have the old kind of tinsel hanging from them...you know? The kind that's all stiff and holds it's shape when you bend it? I asked my mother what was with the old tinsel anyway...she said, "it's made out of TIN...hence the name tinsel...now it's some fake plastic stuff"

"you're old"

This is my standard line for any of her reminiscing...(don't worry, Rozzie is getting me back now) I'm sure she secretly likes it...uh-huh.

Oh Christmas tree...Oh Christmas tree...

It may indeed
be time for me to start hanging ornaments on the deep insides of your branches...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

it *IS* Christmas...

Anonymous said...

How about multiple trees? Then you can spread the love around.

Mary @ Confessions of a Craft Addict

Anonymous said...

I love those ornaments! They remind me of the ones my mom bought for her first Christmas with my dad 51 or 52 years ago. Her ornaments got split up between us 8 kids so I only have three of them, but they are treasured and well loved.

flutter said...

those are my favorite ornaments

luvmygreenbug said...

so pretty, I have some that were my grandmother's...were't they from a company called Shiney Brite, or something like that? I have a few with little scenes on them...and some with fake snow plastered on them, as my grandma in the '60's decided she wanted to flock her own tree...and did so with the ornaments ON the tree..I smile every time I see those. And the old tinsel..my mom would put it on the tree one by one...my sister and I would wad it up in a ball and throw it on the tree when she wasn't looking..little brats..ah, the memories!! :)

Felicia said...

I solved the too many orniments problem by having more than one tree :) Those sweet little balls are very pretty!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin